Question about re-using topics in TOC

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
dawei
Jr. Propeller Head

Question about re-using topics in TOC

Post by dawei »

When a topic is referenced more than once in a TOC, and that topic is referenced (linked) from another topic, I want the link to point to the instance of that topic in the same top-level node in the TOC, to maintain the integrity of the breadcrumb & side menu. Instead, the reference points to another seemingly random instance of the topic in another node of the TOC. Is there a way to control this behavior?
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Question about re-using topics in TOC

Post by Nita Beck »

The solution is covered in the Flare help at https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... ntries.htm
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

On further reflection, the solution might get you only partway.

An alternative approach, which many of us used before MadCap added the functionality covered in the Help topic I pointed you to, was to put everything except the first heading into a snippet and then to have multiple topics, each of which then had its own heading followed by the snippet and each of which was placed once on the TOC. With that approach, you can point an xref or link to the exact instance of the content you want, thereby eliminating what seems like random linking.

Hope this also helps.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
devjoe
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by devjoe »

Another strategy I have used to accomplish this is to use bookmarks. Add a bookmark at the top of the repeated topic for each occurrence of it in the TOC except the "default" one, and make the extra TOC entries reference those bookmarks. When topics link to this topic, they choose the bookmark corresponding to the section they are in. This is a little fiddly but it lets you control exactly which of the multiple TOC entries each link leads to, and you only have one copy of the destination topic in the project.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

devjoe wrote:Another strategy I have used to accomplish this is to use bookmarks. Add a bookmark at the top of the repeated topic for each occurrence of it in the TOC except the "default" one, and make the extra TOC entries reference those bookmarks. When topics link to this topic, they choose the bookmark corresponding to the section they are in. This is a little fiddly but it lets you control exactly which of the multiple TOC entries each link leads to, and you only have one copy of the destination topic in the project.
Nita's suggestion is neater, and still means you only have the content in one place, i.e. in the snippet. It also gives you the opportunity to use snippet variables (which I have only recently discovered and absolutely love) and snippet conditions!
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
dawei
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by dawei »

Thanks everyone. I tried the solution outlined in the Help, and you are right - it's not a complete solution. Does anyone know if a bug about the "Synchronize navigation elements..." feature has been filed for MadCap? If not, I'll file one.