Side navigation TOC behaviour inconsistent

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
blackline
Jr. Propeller Head

Side navigation TOC behaviour inconsistent

Post by blackline »

Hi everyone,

I'm running Flare 2018 and am currently experimenting with the new HTML5 side navigation skin. My problem relates to differences I'm seeing in the side navigation TOC in the HTML5 output:

-- For the Web medium, the TOC entries all display as expected. And clicking a bold Level 1 'book' entry expands the category and also opens the linked topic (see example in Pic 1).

-- For Tablet and Mobile, Flare is adding a copy of every bold Level 1 'book' entry immediately below it, and it looks/behaves like an extra topic. Also, clicking a Level 1 entry only expands the category; it doesn't also open the linked topic (see example in Pic 2).

Other background info (in case it helps):
-- In my TOC file in Flare I renamed the Level 1 entry sample to include 'xxxxxxxxxxxxx' just so it was obvious where the text was coming from.
-- My Level 1 entries in my TOC file are each linked to an 'About ... ' topic (such as 'About distribution lists'). And the 'About ...' topics are also in the TOC file as standalone entries. (Yes, I'm aware that means they're linked twice.) But even when I remove an 'About ...' topic from the TOC file so there's only a link to it from the Level 1 entry, the display problem remains.

Why is Flare duplicating the Level 1 entry in the Tablet/Mobile TOC view while the Web TOC is fine? Any suggestions? Buggy behaviour?

Thanks,
Elizabeth
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeanne_W
Propeller Head

Re: Side navigation TOC behaviour inconsistent

Post by Jeanne_W »

I'm having the same issue and just opened a support ticket. Apparently this is the behavior in top navigation layout, where the 1st-level heading only opens up the menu and doesn't link anywhere. What's weird is that the TOC pane in a wide window displays as expected. It's only the tree slide-out menu in tablet and mobile mode that's affected. I'm waiting to hear back from MadCap. This should be configurable! Sorry I'm not more helpful at this point.

-Jeanne
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

I think it's this way because on a phone you typically wouldn't have the help display next to the toc menu. You'd only see the TOC taking up the whole screen, therefore you can't have the expando link directly to a topic, or you'd never be able to get to the sub-topics. (But I hate that behaviour on tablets where there's typically enough space to show at least part of the topic).
arkana
Propeller Head

Post by arkana »

Hi Elizabeth,

Have you found a workaround for this? I also have this problem.
Arthur Cui
Flare 2019
rogersm
Propeller Head

Post by rogersm »

Am also wondering if there is a workaround for this?