Different Queries about Web-based Output

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
KeshavArora
Jr. Propeller Head

Different Queries about Web-based Output

Post by KeshavArora »

Hi,
My company is evaluating MadCap Flare as its Documentation Tool. I have used its trial version and found it quite good, especially in terms of repurposing the content and generating multiple outputs from a single source.
However, we are confused at the following points.
1. We want to integrate the following third-party codes or APIs in HTML5 TopNav and WebHelp.
a. Google Analytics
b. Google Comments
c. Back to Top
d. jQuery Accordions, Tabs, Buttons, Calendars and other items
e. Dynamic arrow on right for next topic and on left for previous topic. These arrows should come when someone scrolls down to a fixed length.
2. Is there any way to compile all topics, extract what all new content or changes have been made in them, and output only new content or changes to a new topic/file?
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Different Queries about Web-based Output

Post by NorthEast »

a. Google provides the analytics code, and you can copy and paste this in your master page. It needs a minor change, which I mention in this post: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=27204#p131110
b. Sorry - never heard of Google Comments.
c. You need to write your own script for this. There are posts about it in these forums; e.g. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=28915
d. This is a difficult one to answer, as it depends on exactly what controls you're talking about - jQueryUI, Foundation, Bootstrap? It's important to understand that Flare HTML5 output already contains small portions of the Foundation framework (such as the grid), so this may be the best framework to use with HTML5 output. Other frameworks may or may not work well alongside Foundation. Also, Flare output already includes jQuery (currently v1.12.4) in HTML5 output, so check your plugins are compatible.
e. The Topic toolbar has a previous/next buttons.

2. I don't really understand the question. When you "build", Flare will build (compile) everything in the output - it doesn't build only parts of the output. When you "publish" the output (copy the output files to the publish destination), there is an option to only publish updated files. The target's build logs have details of which files were built/published.
KeshavArora
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by KeshavArora »

Hi Dave Lee,

Thank you for your answer.
1. I need the following APIs.
a. Google+ Comments like what anyone gets on Google Sites or Google Blogspot. Reference URL: https://kainoto.com/marketing-blog/add- ... bsite.aspx

b. jquery Accordion, Button, Datepicker, Tabs,and other UI elements from http://jqueryui.com/.

c. This is about dynamic previous/next buttons that floats and remains visible while scrolling in a page.

2. Let me explain.
Suppose I have prepared a document (containing 20 topics) in Madcap for Product N1. With the release of N2, I have added new content and made some changes in existing content. Now, I want Madcap to collect delta changes (all the newly inserted and modified content) and insert it into a separate file.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Ok...

* I've never used jQuery UI, or Google+ Comments - so I can't help there. I'd suggest just trying these out, and see what happens.

* The topic toolbar contains previous next buttons. You could put the toolbar proxy inside a div, then use CSS to set the div to a fixed position (https://www.w3schools.com/cssref/pr_class_position.asp)

* Flare will not produce a list of changes in a separate file.
wowbagger
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by wowbagger »

We have used jquery-ui in a Flare project without issues.