HTML5 search results not displayed in IE

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
Bahbert
Propeller Head

HTML5 search results not displayed in IE

Post by Bahbert »

I recently updated an existing with an HTML5 tripane output (a definite upgrade from the WebHelpPlus output we had been using). Since then, users accessing the help from IE11 cannot use the search feature. When you type a search term and click the search button, the results page displays but it remains blank (it doesn't indicate no search terms were found, but rather seems to simply stop working before a search is completed). Additionally, buttons that should be displaying at the top of the topic pane are missing in IE. Example:
example from IE.png
Both the search and the buttons display and function properly in other browsers (I've tried Edge and Chrome so far). Example:
example from Chrome.png
Unfortunately, this documentation is intended for colleagues internal to our company, and the company still installs IE11 on our computers and recommends its use.

Does anyone have any ideas where to start looking into this issue? In the past, I know that issues with the indexing service on the server would cause the search and TOC to stop working, but that was when we were using a WebHelpPlus output. Now I'm inclined to believe it's an issue with IE, but I don't even know what to tell our IT group to fix.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Re: HTML5 search results not displayed in IE

Post by Psider »

It's possible IE is running in compatibility mode, which basically means IE7, which doesn't work with HTML5. I think either IE9 or IE10 is the minimum. From memory you can add a meta tag in the output to force it to run in the highest mode. The tag is <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=Edge" />. I can't remember if you need to specify the tag or if it's a checkbox to select, although I think it's the former.

I think that overrides the IE compatibility view settings, but if not, speak to your IT to see if it's possible for them to turn off the "Display intranet sites in Compatibility View" setting in IE - I believe this can be controlled company wide. (They might not be able to because other sites need to run in compatibility mode, but perhaps they can set up a specific list of sites, rather than forcing all sites...). (Oh, or they might already use the specific list of sites method, in which case, ask them to remove the web address for the help. )

You can also turn off this setting manually, but it probably isn't a good idea, as it might break other sites staff need and they might not know this is the cause. I turn it on and off myself though, for testing purposes.
Bahbert
Propeller Head

Post by Bahbert »

That's a good thought, but doesn't seem to be the issue. It doesn't look like compatibility mode is turned on. I did notice that enterprise mode was enabled, but I have an option in the Tools menu to disable it and doing so did not fix the problem.
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

It looks like Enterprise mode is also compatibility mode:
"Enterprise Mode is a compatibility mode that runs on Internet Explorer 11, letting websites render using a modified browser configuration that’s designed to emulate either Windows Internet Explorer 8 or Windows Internet Explorer 7".

If you can untick/unselect the Enterprise Mode menu option, then it should solve the problem for the site (for you only), but probably only after you refresh the site. But you say it doesn't fix it.

Let's just double-check, as I've never come across this mode before and I'm not sure how it locks things down.

First, make sure the Enterprise Mode menu settings is set to how it was originally. Close all IE windows and re-open the production help, just to make sure the setting takes effect properly. Press F12 to open the Developer Tools and select the Emulation tab. What does the Document mode field say? Does it say Edge next to it, or display a number? If it shows a number, then the site is running in compatibility mode. You'll need to ask your IT guys to remove the help website from the enterprise mode list. If it says Edge, then I'm out of ideas and I'd probably raise a support ticket with MadCap.
Bahbert
Propeller Head

Post by Bahbert »

That was it. The default document mode is 8; when I switch it to 11 from the Developer Tools' Emulation tab, everything immediately works just fine. How aggravating.

Thanks for the help!
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

Just to re-iterate, make sure you ask IT to remove your help website from their Enterprise mode list, as changing the Emulation mode using developer tools only changes it for you, and only temporarily. (Sorry if I'm explaining something you already realise. I've had people miss this point, so wanted to be clear.)