Publish failed: The parameter is incorrect. (code 550)

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
headphone_jack
Propeller Head

Post by headphone_jack »

Trying to publish via FTP and I'm getting the following error:

Code: Select all

As lovely as this error message is, it doesn't actually convey any information about what it wrong. Anyone any ideas? I've emailed Madcap already, but waiting on a response.
AlexFox
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Publish failed: The parameter is incorrect. (code 550)

Post by AlexFox »

550 is an FTP error for no permissions, not a MadCap error. You've likely specified the wrong username and/or password. Remember that publish destinations will delete the stored password if you edit the target path, so put the password in as a last step.
vaikanen
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by vaikanen »

I'm experiencing this error as well, but I know it's not user credentials. I can successfully connect via FreeFTP and FileZilla.

However, I ran into some problems with both FTP programs, then eventually solved them. However, Flare still won't connect and gives me this error.

Details: The Server is an Azure-based server/folder. I didn't set it up so I don't more than that.

[*]FreeFTP: Would successfully connect and I could see folders and make folders. But I couldn't write any files. I forget what I changed but I eventually figured it out.
[*]FileZilla: Would timeout during connection -- it would log in successfully, but timed out when trying to read the directory. I checked settings and eventually zeroed in on its default setting (Explicit FTP). I set it to Plain FTP for encryption and the problem was solved.

Unfortunately, although I got both FTP clients working fine, Flare still craps out with the same error (550). I've tried re-entering credentials and so forth, but nothing works. I'm guessing there are some settings or something "under the hood" in Flare that are causing a problem?

Anyway, if anyone has any information on this, I'd appreciate it. :) I can live with using an external FTP program, but it would be nice if I didn't have to.
ajturnersurrey
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by ajturnersurrey »

Have you tried switching your "Connection Mode" from Passive (default) to Active. I experienced Flare timing out and failing because our IT had tweaked something that changed the mode. In an ftp program it will try one mode then try the other if the first didn't work but Flare won't wait that long, so you need to be set up with the right mode in your Destination definition straight away.
vaikanen
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by vaikanen »

Thanks for the suggestion!

I tried setting to "Active" but, unfortunately, it still didn't work. :( (Womp-Womp)

ajturnersurrey wrote:Have you tried switching your "Connection Mode" from Passive (default) to Active. I experienced Flare timing out and failing because our IT had tweaked something that changed the mode. In an ftp program it will try one mode then try the other if the first didn't work but Flare won't wait that long, so you need to be set up with the right mode in your Destination definition straight away.
Ken Billing
Propeller Head

Post by Ken Billing »

Are you trying to publish to the IIS root folder? I'm getting this error too but only in the root folder and I have Full Control permissions everywhere and can publish there with FileZilla.
Ken Billing | Technical Writer
BlueCielo ECM Solutions
http://www.bluecieloecm.com

ajturnersurrey
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by ajturnersurrey »

I know what your problem was...

Thanks to a recent IT upgrade my publishing stopped working.
I now get 'Publish failed: SSL/TLS required on the control channel (code=550)'.
This happens because IT have now moved to requiring secure FTP, which the MadCap Flare publish interface does not support.

Add your name to feature request if you'd like the problem fixed!
Ken Billing
Propeller Head

Post by Ken Billing »

Actually, it's now a bug (139632) but entering ./ works.
Ken Billing | Technical Writer
BlueCielo ECM Solutions
http://www.bluecieloecm.com