Related Topics - how to?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
tpmtpm56
Propeller Head

Related Topics - how to?

Post by tpmtpm56 »

I inherited a project with an htm topic that references 3 other topics in the project as "See also" links.

These "See also" links are visible on the generated HTML page. But in Flare on the Text Editor page they are not visible; they are only visible on the XML Editor page and they appear as

Code: Select all

<p>
            <MadCap:relatedTopics style="mc-use-custom-sort-order: true;">
                <MadCap:relatedTopic src="../Transport/CreateTransLlnks.htm#CreateTransLink" />
                <MadCap:relatedTopic src="../Link Design/LinkConfiguration.htm#LinkEquipmentConfig" />
                <MadCap:relatedTopic src="../Transport/Network elements.htm#NetworkElementsCreate" />
            </MadCap:relatedTopics>
 </p>
How did the previous author create these links?
I tried
- dragging&dropping as per Flare Help regarding Related Topics, but end up with a MadCap:xref href link, which does not work.
- creating a bookmark, but there is no place to insert it with the other 3 existing link on the Text Editor page.

I know this has to have a simple answer; what am I missing?
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Related Topics - how to?

Post by Nita Beck »

I don't typically set up Related Topics this way, so can't give first-hand advice. I suggest you hit up Flare's documentation:

https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... -Links.htm
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
tpmtpm56
Propeller Head

Post by tpmtpm56 »

Thanks Nita! Unfortunately the former author is no longer around to ask.
ajturnersurrey
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by ajturnersurrey »

Here are a few pointers:

You insert these sort of topic controls here
insert_related_topics_button.png
and you will be led to a menu that lets you select/deselect files from your project contents.

You should be able to see an existing control as long as you are in web layout and default medium in the XML editor.
xml_editor_web_view.png
To edit an existing control right click on it and choose to edit
right_click_on_related_topic_control_to_edit.png
and you will be led to a menu that lets you select/deselect files from your project contents.

Alternatively you should be able to see the code in the Text Editor, mine looks like this:

<p MadCap:conditions="General.Online">
              <MadCap:relatedTopics style="mc-label: 'Related reading:';mc-help-control-display: list;mc-use-custom-sort-order: true;">
                <MadCap:relatedTopic src="Topic X.htm" />
                <MadCap:relatedTopic src="Topic Y.htm" />
            </MadCap:relatedTopics>
        </p>
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

tpmtpm56 wrote:Thanks Nita! Unfortunately the former author is no longer around to ask.
I wasn't suggesting asking a colleague. I was suggesting taking a look at Flare's documentation for instructions on how to work with Related Topics links.

Thanks, ajturnersurrey, for jumping in to get our friend on track!
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
tpmtpm56
Propeller Head

Post by tpmtpm56 »

Nita, I understood what you meant.
I had been working on this for a day, and had already looked at the links you sent (but thanks all the same :) )
The first link you suggested is the first one I had already found before posting here. It's confusing. The section "How to insert a related topics link using the insert menu or ribbon" > Step 2 "In the XML Editor, click in the topic where you want to insert the link (usually at the bottom of the topic)" does not work, because when I open my topic in the XML Editor, the "Related Topics Control" function grays out and is inaccessible.
But in any case it looks like the related topics were created, somehow, in a way that "bookmarks" them: I say this because of the hashmarked final element in the string, as

#CreateTransLink
in the first related topic.
At this point in the project it's not a show-stopper, and the entire project will have to be overhauled in any case at some point in the future.
And thanks ajturnersurrey!
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

Wait, you say the XML code displays in the XML Editor? That's really weird unless it's deliberately inserted to show a code sample.

Can you post a screenshot of the Flare interface so we can see what the XML Editor looks like and the same place in the Text Editor?
tpmtpm56
Propeller Head

Post by tpmtpm56 »

Psider, my mistake; the XML code doesn't appear in the XML Editor.
In any case, thanks all for the feedback; I'll solve this when there's more time.