Local mp4 not displaying thumbnails on iOS devices w/ Auto P

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
gwf
Jr. Propeller Head

Local mp4 not displaying thumbnails on iOS devices w/ Auto P

Post by gwf »

Been trying to resolve this multimedia video quirky behavior for some days now.

Need to be able to keep project local on server, specifically no Internet access to external resources for video presentations (YouTube, Vimeo, etc.).

Generated a simple 20 second or so .mp4 video, used several different programs to generate the .mp4, all results the same as below.

Problem: Basically, when using a local file, if Auto Play is unchecked, thumbnail does not display on iOS iPad Pro or iPhone 6s devices. If Auto Play is checked, thumbnail displays ok, but all the videos fire off at the same time. Desktop browsers display thumbnail ok, behavior is as expected and acceptable. However, really need for the Help System to display consistently across all devices.

1 - running current version Flare 2018
2 - using the top nav adv template, minimally modified at this point
3 - insert multi-media local .mp4, uncheck Auto Play
4 - displays ok with thumbnails using Win10 desktop browsers Edge, IE11, Firefox
5 - displays ok with thumbnails using macOS HighSierra desktop browsers Safari, Firefox
6 - displays ok with thumbnails using Amazon Fire OS 5 tablet Silk Browser
6a - guessing Chrome would display fine using desktop edition for Windows or Mac

7 - does not display thumbnail on iPad Pro or iPhone 6s with Auto Play unchecked, both running iOS 12.0 and Safari browser
7a - does not display thumbnail on iPad Pro or iPhone with Auto Play unchecked using Firefox browser app
7b - displays thumbnail ok when Auto Play is checked in all instances

8 - tried setting a background image of the first frame of the video with Auto Play unchecked
8a - on iPhone, tiles the image when landscape, fills screen with unacceptable tiling

9 - thumbnails display ok on iPad and iPhone using a YouTube link
10 - no thumbnails using a Vimeo link

Not sure if I'm missing something right in front of my eyes? I'm more inclined to think it's something in a JavaScript file or other behind the scenes file? Not a programmer, so all my work is being done via the UI, in order to keep Flare in the wheelhouse. If there's specific code I can tweak without mucking stuff up, can manage that angle. But not going to start hacking around willy-nilly. Did some inspection with Visual Studio Code - garners a whole lot of respect for the Flare development team.

Proto published here:

mx.singingwires.com

Thank you for any tips and/or tricks,
Gary