HTML5 Skin versus Target Breakpoints

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
wfranz
Propeller Head

HTML5 Skin versus Target Breakpoints

Post by wfranz »

We have been creating HTML5 Tripane skins recently. One topic that is quite confusing is the breakpoint widths for Desktop (Web), Tablet, and Mobile. I have been reading up on it here:

http://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare201 ... -Skins.htm

Two things that confuse me about this content.
1. There are very specific settings at the Target level for breakpoints. While this help content implies that there are similar settings at the skin level, it does not say what exactly the settings are. Would the skin level settings be the size set for the Main page in the Tablet and Mobile mediums?

2. How the skin settings and target settings work together is not clear and seems to have a very strange user experience. Then, from that same topic I noticed the following:

Note: If you have a Tripane skin in your project and you enter responsive output settings in both the Skin Editor and Target Editor, the settings in the target take precedence. However, this is not true if you have not yet made a change to the tablet or mobile breakpoint fields in the Target Editor, but you have made changes to them in the Skin Editor. In that case, the numbers from the changed Skin Editor will be used.

So that's good that this is explained, but how is someone supposed to tell if a target's settings have been modified? Obviously if the defaults have been changed sure, but I have targets that do not seem to be respecting the skin default. What if I want them to just use the default going forward? I think the target settings would work better if there was a check box where you have to say yes, override the skin defaults and now here is how I am setting the target specific defaults. Leaving it more ambiguous as it is now is bound to cause some issues.