Behaviour of non-words in searches if exclude enabled

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
JRtechw
Propeller Head

Behaviour of non-words in searches if exclude enabled

Post by JRtechw »

Our Support recently brought to my attention that time values entered in the search bar produced erratic results.

For example, '10:20 am' and '11.20' produced a couple of results of no relevance.

The Target > Search tab > Exclude non-words from search option is enabled for all my projects. Can I safely assume that if this option is ticked, Flare search just converts non-alphanumeric characters in search text into spaces, which the HTML5 search engine then interprets as an OR relation? I investigated the articles returned and they indeed had instances of '10', '20' etc. in their contents.

This is not exactly a help-killer, but isn't overly elegant either. Is there a way to allow specific characters to be used in search, kind of like a stop-character file I guess? A workaround is to ask users to enclose time values in quotes in my search advice article if they are specifically searching for a time (not often, but it's a legitimate search for our particular software).

How else have people handled this?

Cheers,

Jay.