Exporting Online Help to Word or PDF

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
rashasaeed
Jr. Propeller Head

Exporting Online Help to Word or PDF

Post by rashasaeed »

Good morning,

Is there a way we can give the user the option to export the html5 help to a PDF file or a Word document? users need their user guide to be available offline.. I can send the file separately but it means more work for creating targets and sending them over to customers upon each update.. so I was wondering if Flare provides this feature of exporting the whole thing by users..

Thanks in advance..
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Exporting Online Help to Word or PDF

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Sounds like something they'd need to use an external utility for.

Or thinking completely outside the box, could you produce a PDF and host it on your network, then add a topic that links to the PDF? The user can then click the link in the topic to open the PDF and then do whatever they like with it. That way YOU get to control what the PDF looks like.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
smajors
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Exporting Online Help to Word or PDF

Post by smajors »

I'm curious to know how Madcap does it in the Flare v11 online help that I reference. I noticed they have a PDF button in some but not all of their web topics in the topic toolbar, and they also keep the print option to just print the web page and not save a pdf.
flarev11_pdf_toolbar.png
We currently have some web version topics as pdf files and I do it the way the user above me posted about. I produce a pdf from a separate target and save that file in a folder within Flare, then link to that file from the web page so it will download the pdf when the user clicks on it. But, this is some manual work because every time the content changes in the web version I have to remember to reproduce the print target and replace the old pdf file with the updated one, then as long as the title of the file doesn't change the hyperlink will remain the same.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Technical Writer
Training & Development Team/Marketing Department