Exclude condition on drop-down text is breaking my build

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
TR Lisa
Sr. Propeller Head

Exclude condition on drop-down text is breaking my build

Post by TR Lisa »

HTML5 output. I have a lot of draft content in topics that I have conditionally excluded from the publish. This seems to be breaking the builds with "missing dropdownhead" errors. I'm not applying the condition to part of the dropdown text. I'm selecting most of the topic, which includes a few drop-down paragraphs, then applying the condition. I have a ton of topics with this type of conditional logic applied, so going in to fix each topic is not an option given my timeframe. This is the code from one of the dropdown spots for one of the topics that's breaking the build. See anything wrong? Not sure why it applies the condition line by line when that's not how I applied it.

<MadCap:dropDown>
<MadCap:dropDownHead MadCap:conditions="General.Publish hold-DRAFT">
<MadCap:dropDownHotspot>Tip short name</MadCap:dropDownHotspot>
</MadCap:dropDownHead>
<MadCap:dropDownBody>
<p MadCap:conditions="General.Publish hold-DRAFT">Tip description</p>
<p MadCap:conditions="General.Publish hold-DRAFT">See also: Related heading or topic, no end punctuation, this needs to be styled</p>
</MadCap:dropDownBody>
</MadCap:dropDown>
<MadCap:dropDown>
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Exclude condition on drop-down text is breaking my build

Post by NorthEast »

You have a condition on the MadCap:dropDownHead tag, so that will exclude that tag and cause the error. Presumably you intended the condition to be on the MadCap:dropDown tag instead.

Code: Select all

If you put conditions on large blocks of content, I'd suggest clicking Group and putting them inside a div, then put the condition on the div. I find it makes it easier to tidy up, because you just need to remove a single condition/div afterwards.
TR Lisa
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by TR Lisa »

Thanks Dave. I don't understand why Select All or selecting a chunk of content and applying a condition doesn't work, or why it's only breaking on a few topics, when I've done this in a ton of topics. Good tip on using Group for the next time I might have to do this. I'll give that a try but it sounds like I'm stuck building, seeing what topic it breaks on, fixing, and rebuilding, and repeating until the build doesn't break. Really not something I have time for with a week to launch this massive help system rewrite and redesign. Very frustrating when I've been conditioning text like this for weeks and it only became a problem yesterday.
lcarver
Propeller Head

Post by lcarver »

Dave, this is a lifesaver!! I have been trying to add conditional text to a ton of content at once, but applying the condition seems to only add the tag to certain parts of the Dropdowns within my highlighted content. (Possibly a bug??)

I was afraid I was going to have to manually condition the remaining parts one by one... I didn't know about Grouping until now. This is brilliant and so easy. Thank you!
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Dave Lee wrote:You have a condition on the MadCap:dropDownHead tag, so that will exclude that tag and cause the error. Presumably you intended the condition to be on the MadCap:dropDown tag instead.

Code: Select all

If you put conditions on large blocks of content, I'd suggest clicking Group and putting them inside a div, then put the condition on the div. I find it makes it easier to tidy up, because you just need to remove a single condition/div afterwards.
Big Dave to the rescue yet again! What a brilliant idea, and as you say it's SO much easier to tidy up afterwards when you want to remove the condition - something I found particularly annoying.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx