HTML5 Output - Search Options

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
benpja
Propeller Head

HTML5 Output - Search Options

Post by benpja »

Hi All,

I have been researching the various Flare search options we use an HTML5 output.

Madcap Search, Google Search and Elastic Search

Madcap search can be either published locally OR in a server based output.

To summarize my findings:

*Google search requires google to crawl your site - this is not possible in our setup)
*Elasticsearch only works with IIS and ASP and windows (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=30378&p=132160&hili ... ch#p132160 ) - We use linux/Apache and not keen on building a windows server and IIS etc

So Madcap search appears to be our option currently.

To explore the server based options. I cant really see HOW you create a madcap search with a server based output. The Guide says "In order to include file types such as PDF in your search results, you need to generate and publish server-based output." - but i cant see what that actually involves ? does this also require only Windows servers ? Can anyone help me here ?

Also Is there a way with any of the search functions to search only specific areas of a site,? So, If i had three Topics A, B, and C, topic A had two sub topics. Is there a way, when looking at the topic A page, to limit search so it only displays Topic A and its sub topics....

Thank you in advance
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: HTML5 Output - Search Options

Post by NorthEast »

HTML5 server based output also requires IIS and ASP.NET.

For details, just look in Flare's help:
https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... Output.htm
AlexFox
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by AlexFox »

Maybe I'm getting confused, Dave is usually spot-on, but I've always created HTML5 outputs and hosted them on an Apache webserver (no IIS) and the MadCap search has worked fine.
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

I think it's just searching in pdf, doc, xls etc files that requires IIS. Otherwise, searching the HTML5 output works fine.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Yes the question is about "server-based output", which allows you to search non-topic files too.
benpja wrote:Also Is there a way with any of the search functions to search only specific areas of a site,? So, If i had three Topics A, B, and C, topic A had two sub topics. Is there a way, when looking at the topic A page, to limit search so it only displays Topic A and its sub topics....
Not in the way you describe, but you can use a "search filter" to filter search results, based on concept markers that you include in topics:
https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... r-Sets.htm
benpja
Propeller Head

Post by benpja »

Thanks everyone.

We have decided to wait until add search filters and keep the HTML5 client based output, and put those files in our Apache server. When(if) Madcap enable Flare to publish server based outputs using a Linux /Apache type of setup, we will make the change then, to get the benefits of Fuzzy search etc.

Thank you all again, and Happy New Year :)