iFrame errors for ADA when no iframe in project

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
Jess77
Sr. Propeller Head

iFrame errors for ADA when no iframe in project

Post by Jess77 »

I am in the ADA storm right now. The testing tool keeps spitting out the following error on every topic:
This frame does not have a `title` attribute.
The issue is that I am using a tri-pane skin for HTML5 output. Flare states that the topics in this output don't use iframes.
Pages in HTML5 output do not use <frameset> or <frame> tags, like they do in regular WebHelp output. In addition, HTML5 Side and Top Navigation outputs are completely frameless, meaning they also do not contain iframes,
To me, this means that there should not be any iframe tags in my output. In addition, I am getting this error on items I don't know anything about. For example from the output file:
<iframe id="pulse" class="content" name="pulse" frameborder="0"></iframe>
<iframe id="community-frame-html5" name="community-frame-html5" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Advice on how to fix this?

For example,
Where to I put the titles in for these elements in the source code?
What are these?
Is there a solution in the skin (HTML5 skin) or master page?

Flare's Help is not even remotely useful. I'm totally stumped on this issue and am assuming the answer is in the skin or master page because it is consistent on every page of my output.
Jessica N.
Certified MadCap Advanced Developer for Flare
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Re: iFrame errors for ADA when no iframe in project

Post by Psider »

The passage does take a couple of readings to become clear. What it's saying is that none of the HTML5 outputs use frameset and frame tags. However, Tripane does use iframe tags. If you want to be completely frame- and iframe-less, you need to use Top Nav or Side Nav output.

The other two snippets of code about pulse and community sound like they relate to Pulse server, which is a separate product. If you don't have Pulse server, you could use this topic to reverse any configuration that might be set in your project: https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... -Pulse.htm .

I can't help with the accessibility questions I'm afraid.

(Although a quick google suggests that titles in iframes aren't strictly necessary (https://webaim.org/techniques/frames/ ), so maybe the test tool is indicating a recommendation rather than a hard error in this case? I don't use the tools, so I'm just theorising on this point.)

Hopefully someone dealing with accessibility can jump in with more help.
Jess77
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: iFrame errors for ADA when no iframe in project

Post by Jess77 »

Thank you so much Psider! Your answer is really helpful.

All of those options are turned off in my project. This looks like code that Madcap is throwing in at runtime even if it's only to say, "This is not configured".
There is nothing I can do about that.

There is so much gray area in these standards when you read them. The strangest part is that we have to run all the output files through these relatively new standards testing software. Their tests ding you for things you may not be able to help...and may not be really wrong.

For instance, I am getting a huge error in the tester for not having a language selected on the HTML tag at the top of the page. I have a language tag on the Master Page but can't figure out where to put it in the skin. And, in any case, I think Madcap throws the first HTML tag in at runtime and there is nothing I can do about it .... I think. We're not sure.

I may just through the language tag into the HTML in Notepad after publishing to pass the test in the meantime. :roll:
Jessica N.
Certified MadCap Advanced Developer for Flare