User Role Based Access to Online Help

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
Mritunjay_g
Propeller Head

User Role Based Access to Online Help

Post by Mritunjay_g »

Hi All,

While creating documentation with MadCap, we encountered one issue for which we are needing a solution. Could any one can please review the issue details below and suggest a solution?

We would like to know how to provide User role based access privilege to sections of the documentation. For different clients we achieved through conditional tagging but within single client also we need user wise appearance of contents.

Let me give an example here to describe the issue

We are doing online help using Madcap 2017 r3 for a health care software. We have different user roles defined in the system based on the job function. For example, a user who does Patient Registration need not have access to Lab Orders Processing. Basically User should have access only to topics pertaining to his/her job function.

So how do we make sure that a Registration user has access only to Registration online help and not Lab order processing and vice versa.

We have almost 20 internal users for 20 different modules, all access is privileged. If we do not include this privileged access in our online help, it will not meet our goal to deliver secured documentation to our end users.

Hope I could make you understand the issue.

Thanks in advance for your support.

MJ
chrisj
Propeller Head

Re: User Role Based Access to Online Help

Post by chrisj »

I can't speak to the technical side of how this would be accomplished (I'm assuming you have dev support for this). But I would think conditions is still a good way to do this since conditional elements are entered as metadata in each page. So, while the condition may not serve a purpose during the build process, it can still be used post build by whatever function is hiding/displaying content by role.
Chris Jones
Product Content Manager - TEAM Software
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

What format is you Help output? If it's CHM then you're stuffed, you'd have to generate separate helps for each target audience but I don't know how your software would "know" which audience someone was from. There may be other possibilities with other formats.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
Mritunjay_g
Propeller Head

Post by Mritunjay_g »

Thanks chrisj and ChoccieMuffin,

chrisj wrote:it can still be used post build by whatever function is hiding/displaying content by role.
It will be difficult to manage post build, every time new output generated this exercise need to be performed. But yes, we can give a try.
ChoccieMuffin wrote:What format is you Help output? If it's CHM then you're stuffed, you'd have to generate separate helps for each target audience but I don't know how your software would "know" which audience someone was from. There may be other possibilities with other formats.
We are using HTML5, does it work like CHM? Generating separate help for topics each target audience will be very difficult to manage.
What process we are adopting is, Published output goes with the build to the respective clients. So instead of one project I'll be having 20 projects for a single client. I using CSH, launching help on hitting F1 key.
Even I tried it earlier, management is very tough.

Great efforts, Thank you very much both of you!!

MJ
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Mritunjay_g wrote: We are using HTML5, does it work like CHM? Generating separate help for topics each target audience will be very difficult to manage.
What process we are adopting is, Published output goes with the build to the respective clients. So instead of one project I'll be having 20 projects for a single client. I using CSH, launching help on hitting F1 key.
Even I tried it earlier, management is very tough.

Great efforts, Thank you very much both of you!!

MJ
HTML5 is VERY different to CHM (as CHM is absolutely ancient and doesn't recognise lots of cool stuff you can do in Flare).

You might find it useful to watch this webinar, as it might describe what you want to do.
https://www.madcapsoftware.com/webinars ... cap-flare/

Hope that helps.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx