Need to print full-size images from HTML5 output

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
TraceyYates
Propeller Head

Need to print full-size images from HTML5 output

Post by TraceyYates »

I have convinced the project team I am currently work with that it is a good move to bring some of their old PDF files in to an HTML5 output and post them as a small online help system. They were generally happy with the idea, since they could still print the topics, but they want to the topics printed from the help to use full-size (or at least bigger) images than the thumbnails used in the help. I found some topics in the forum from 2011 and 2013 discussing the problem, but it seems at that time that Flare didn't have a way to do it elegantly.

Six to eight years later, does anyone know if there's a way to do it in Flare now? :) I'm still digging around, but haven't found a feature that does this (or a good workaround), and am hoping that the collective genius of the forums might have something . . .

Thanks,
Tracey
devjoe
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Need to print full-size images from HTML5 output

Post by devjoe »

It doesn't work because Flare substitutes resized copies of the images as the thumbnails, even if you don't use the option which makes resized copies of scaled images in general. So no amount of CSS trickery can make this work. Maybe a very sophisticated Javascript could recognize the thumbnailed images and replace each one by the linked, full-size image to generate a page which could be printed with full-sized images, but in general this is a limitation of using thumbnailed images.
TraceyYates
Propeller Head

Re: Need to print full-size images from HTML5 output

Post by TraceyYates »

Darn it . . . I was really hoping that something had changed in that vein in the last few years. I had been losing hope as I searched the online help and target options for a way to do it, and couldn't find anything. Your response clinched my suspicions.

Well, we can always cross our fingers that MadCap will develop that capability in the future . . . :-)