Click vs. Tap Redux

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
blindamood
Propeller Head

Click vs. Tap Redux

Post by blindamood »

I'm using the SideNav template for creating responsive help, and I'm curious if anyone has solved the (much discussed) issue of "click" vs. "tap" based on the responsive breakpoints. I've looked at various sources for doing so with media queries, but have not some up with anything workable. (Is there a way to define a CSS variable that just specifies a word or phrase?) It seems that the easiest approach would be to have Flare implement the ability to change a variable's value by Medium, as it already does by Target.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Click vs. Tap Redux

Post by NorthEast »

I'd say the easiest approach is to use terminology that's not related to the input method, e.g. "select".

Besides, a media query that just uses breakpoints is only going to tell you the screen size, not the type of device or whether it has a touch screen.
blindamood
Propeller Head

Post by blindamood »

Dave Lee wrote:I'd say the easiest approach is to use terminology that's not related to the input method, e.g. "select".
Thanks for the response. Yes, I understand that using a generic term would work, but it would be nice if there was a workable method for conditionalizing terminology by device (this being just one example).
chrisj
Propeller Head

Post by chrisj »

I'm really curious about the use case for this. Why would the device someone is viewing your help on determine the terminology you would use anyway? I'm sure there is a good use case, I just can't think of one and am curious.
Chris Jones
Product Content Manager - TEAM Software
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

What you're looking for is media queries. You should be able to find out more here:

http://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare201 ... responsive layout
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
blindamood
Propeller Head

Post by blindamood »

Just FYI for anyone following this... MadCap has now implemented exactly the feature I was looking for here. As of release 2019r2, you can now define conditionals that can be applied to text or images to automatically change the content based on the response output breakpoints! When you update the Conditional Text settings for a target, you can select a new radio button called "Display by Media Query" with the options of Web, Tablet, or Mobile. :D