Can't get a Mini-TOC proxy to work with Clean HTML

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
Colum
Propeller Head

Can't get a Mini-TOC proxy to work with Clean HTML

Post by Colum »

I'm struggling to get a mini-toc prozy to display properly in my topics. It has been added to a master page that has been added to my target. However when I publish the output - I'm using Clean HTML - no min-TOC is displayed in the topics. Before you ask, yes there are other headings in the topic and I've set the proxy to display the first three levels.
mini-toc1.png
mini-toc2.png
I see you can specify a master page in a topic's properties also. I've set this to "default" which in my book should be the one I've set in the target. Am I right? Maybe one of your super heroes can point me in the direction of where I'm going wrong.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Can't get a Mini-TOC proxy to work with Clean HTML

Post by Nita Beck »

I believe you're confusing a mini-TOC proxy with a menu proxy.

A mini-TOC proxy is intended to build a list of links based on the first headings found in topics whose associated TOC entries are nested beneath another topic's TOC entry.

A menu proxy, by contrast, can be used to build a list of links to subheadings within a topic.

HTH
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Colum
Propeller Head

Post by Colum »

Thanks for the clarification Nita. It sounds like I can't achieve what I wanted. Say I've got a topic with the following heading structure:

Heading 1
Paragraph
Paragraph
Heading 2
Paragraph
Heading 2
Paragraph
Heading 3
Paragraph
Paragraph
Heading 2
Paragraph

I want to automatically add a list of bookmarks to all the headings in the same topic. It looks like both the mini-toc and menu proxies don't do this.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

You *can* with a menu proxy. Edit the menu proxy and associate it with headings instead of a TOC.

From Flare’s help:
You also have the option of selecting “Headings,” which will display topic headings in the side menu instead. In other words, any headings or subheadings (e.g., h1, h2, h3, h4) that you’ve included in a topic will be shown in the side menu instead of other topics in the output.
https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... c-Menu.htm

You may need to play with CSS so the menu isn’t rendered as a floating side menu.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

You can't use a menu proxy in Clean XHTML targets - it's only supported in HTML5 targets.

You can use Mini-TOC proxy in Clean XHTML targets, but a mini-TOC will not automatically create links to headings in your topics.
The mini-TOC will only display the links that are in your TOC. So I think you'd need to manually add links to these headings in your TOC, i.e. insert bookmarks next to the headings, and then add links link to these bookmarks in your TOC.

If you're using Clean XHTML, then quite a lot of things aren't supported - see https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... Output.htm
I'd suggest using HTML5, unless there's a reason for using Clean XHTML.
Colum
Propeller Head

Post by Colum »

Thanks Dave. We are limited to Clean HTML as we are using the Salesforce Connect plugin.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Colum, my *sincere* apology for taking you down the proverbial garden path. I consulted several Flare help topics before posting the link and would swear that I found reference — positively so — to Clean HTML and menu proxies. But I’m clearly wrong.
Nita
Colum
Propeller Head

Post by Colum »

No problem Nita. It was a particularly rich and colorful path :-)