Contributor Doesn't Have Flare

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
TechWriter85
Propeller Head

Contributor Doesn't Have Flare

Post by TechWriter85 »

Hi, all.

I'm working with an SME who does not have Flare. He will be working with us for a few weeks and definitely will not be buying a Flare license for just that short time period. He also doesn't really need to learn Flare for such a short investment of time.

He will need to edit our existing .htm files as well as generate new content.

Ideally, we'd like him to work in a freeware WYSIWYG XML editor, creating .htm files that we can seamlessly add to our project.

Has anyone worked this out? What editor or process did you use?

Second best is for him to work in Word, and we then import his work. I don't like the extensive clutter that attends importing a Word file, it confuses me. But maybe that will be manageable if we have to go that route.

What tool and process would you recommend? Does MadCap provide an accommodation for this real-world situation? That would be really great.
ajturnersurrey
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Contributor Doesn't Have Flare

Post by ajturnersurrey »

Madcap offers Madcap Contributor https://www.madcapsoftware.com/products/contributor/ (which the title of your post made me think you were asking about...)
That's a cut down Flare interface, and designed for SMEs to add their contributions in an 'easy to integrate' format without learning much about Flare.

I have also worked with SMEs providing input in MS Word (or even Notepad). If using MS Word I would give them a limited template to start from and emphasise that they must not spend any time trying to make the content they are generating look nice - that will all be done in Flare.

Whatever you choose, there will be some import/integration effort required on the contributor's files if he does not use Flare in full.