Converting a Word doc to a Flare project

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
leep
Propeller Head

Converting a Word doc to a Flare project

Post by leep »

I've been trying to convert a Word doc to a Flare project but get the error message "The document can not be imported to Flare unless Microsoft Word can save the file in XML format." Word does purport to be able to save files in XML format. I've done it a couple of times. But bringing such a file into Flare results in an error. So obviously the XML format that Word produces doesn't make Flare happy. Does anybody know what I need to get Word docs into Flare--maybe a plug-in or an upgrade of Flare and/or Word or, hopefully, something much easier? I really think this should be happening without the issues I'm running into. Thanks.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: Converting a Word doc to a Flare project

Post by SteveS »

Have you tried to import the document using Flare's import wizard?

Importing from Word has always been one of Flare's features.

You haven't said what versions of Word/ Flare you are using, I can see a problem if you have an early version of Flare and are trying to import a current .docx document that is not in compatibility mode (Word).

If you haven't got a lot of content you should be able to copy and paste content from Word to Flare.

It is a good idea to clean up the Word document as much as possible before attempting an import.
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
leep
Propeller Head

Post by leep »

Yes, I'm using the Import Wizard, and I agree: it should be working. I'm using Word 2013 and Flare 2017 r2. No reason I should be getting the lousy message, which in a bogus manner puts the blame on Word. Would you suggest getting in touch with Support?
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

This post suggests a few options you could try: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9742
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Make sure the Word doc is in a folder where you have write access, and that it's not read-only. I fell over this one and just couldn't work it out!
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
doloremipsum
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by doloremipsum »

It seems to me that your Word doc might be saved as .doc or .docm. You want to save it as .docx (i.e. the XML format that modern MS Word uses). There should be no additional steps required to bring it into Flare after that.
in hoc foro dolorem ipsum amamus, consectimur, adipisci volumus.