Creating multiple HTML5 outputs

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
TechWriter85
Propeller Head

Creating multiple HTML5 outputs

Post by TechWriter85 »

Hi, all.

I have a big project with dozens of topics.

But, to show team members some new design elements, I need to show only two topics. It's quicker and easier to generate output using only the two topics, obviously.

Therefore, I created a new TOC (Two-Topic TOC) containing only the two topics.

I attach the original Big TOC in the Project and Target when I want to generate the entire project, and I attach Two-Topic TOC when I want to generate just the small project.

Problem: each new output overwrites the previous output. I can't have both TOC outputs safely stored in the Output folder, unless I, say, copy and rename the Output folder to something else to preserve it, before publishing from the other TOC into the Ouput folder.

Am I taking the wrong approach? How can you generate output from different TOCs without it overwriting the previous output in the Output folder?

Thanks.
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Re: Creating multiple HTML5 outputs

Post by Psider »

I generally set up two things:

1. A review target, so that I can output just the topics I need reviewed (for an initial content correctness review. I do a second with the full suite so context and links can be checked). You could use this idea for your 2 topic toc.
2. A separate design project with 3 or 4 representative topics. This means I can play with colours, sizing, etc without breaking my live design.

Otherwise, if you just change the TOC in the target, they generate to the same place and you can't keep both, as you noted.

Another idea, if neither of the above work for you, is to publish the output to different locations. Generating will still only allow you the one, but if you change where you publish to depending on what you build, then you can retain a copy.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Creating multiple HTML5 outputs

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Definitely have a separate target as well as a separate TOC. If you call both target and topic REVIEW_ONLY or something like that you'll never need to worry about your "proper" output being overwritten as you won't need to touch your "proper" target.

When I produce stuff for review I often want to include comments that have been conditioned as "internal only" or similar, so I have different conditions on my review target.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx