Strange TOC Behavior

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
TechWriter85
Propeller Head

Strange TOC Behavior

Post by TechWriter85 »

Hi, all.

I am working on a help system that has a repetitive structure. Many H1 topics contain H2s that provide identical information, such as "Activity Log." The description of this tab remains constant throughout the help system.

Therefore, we have one "Activity Log" topic (.htm file) starting with an H2, and I have copied that .htm into the TOC repeatedly, once under each H1. Here is an example:
SampleARMSTOC.png
(BTW, for some reason, the TOC uses the filenames instead of the topic titles. Suggestions about how to fix it warmly welcomed.)

In the final HTML5 output, the headings appear just as you would expect. When I expand both H1s, I see that "Activity Log" exists underneath both H1s:
CompleteTOC.png
However, if I click Activity Log under BatteryBank_Shortened, the actual topic that opens is the Activity Log topic under CircuitBreaker_Shortened, and the TOC adjusts accordingly:

The reader sees the correct information, but the TOC has jumped around. Surely this will be confusing and unhelpful to any reader who is actually using the TOC for navigation. How do I make it behave like a regular TOC? Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Strange TOC Behavior

Post by NorthEast »

That happens because you have the same topic in multiple locations in your TOC.

To fix it, use the target setting Synchronize navigation elements with TOC entries.

https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... ntries.htm

But read the pros and cons, as your URLs will look a lot more complex.
TechWriter85
Propeller Head

Re: Strange TOC Behavior

Post by TechWriter85 »

Thank you! That worked perfectly, and the URL issue is not a problem for us.