JaveScript method to launch help on touch screens?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
chuck_agari
Sr. Propeller Head

JaveScript method to launch help on touch screens?

Post by chuck_agari »

I have successfully implemented an internal version of our help, not yet connected to our application. I have a help launcher page with icons that are links to the help for our products. I was able to code them using the MadCap.OpenHelp method for the onclick event of the image file.

And in my desktop browser, it works splendidly. However on my iPhone, both in the native Safari browser, in Firefox, and in Chrome, this was not working. I got a bit of a clue in Chrome: a notice of a pop-up blocker. I was able to disable it and then it worked. fI got no such notices in Safari or Firefox, so I'm unsure how to proceed. Any thoughts?

Also, the mobile navigation, using the HTML5 side nav skin, sucks. It seem to be an icon in the upper left in Safari, but there's no nav at all evident on the page anywhere when I view in Chrome. Yuk.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: JaveScript method to launch help on touch screens?

Post by NorthEast »

Unless you specifically need to use the "Javascript" method for the CSH links from your app, you can use the "URL" method. The URL method won't look like a popup, and is easy to implement (it's just a regular hyperlink).
https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... lopers.htm

Real example of CSH using a URL: https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... ias_Editor
chuck_agari
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by chuck_agari »

Yeah, I know. I use both. But JavaScript allows more control. For developers, I think that's better than just an anchor tag with the target="_blank" attribute--which can be forgotten.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

AFAIK, the only additional benefit of using the javascript method is that it'll use the window size that you can set in the skin, but that's for Tripane only anyway.

The URL method isn't going to be blocked as a popup - so I thought that would make more sense in your scenario?!
chuck_agari
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by chuck_agari »

Interesting. I mean, I guess I can use the cshid in the URL and add target = _blank. I've not tested this on a mobile browser yet but it works on the desktop:

Code: Select all

onClick="window.open('../apr/index.html#cshid=3000')"
Still not entirely happy with the responsive output though.