Madcap search engine creates false positive results

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
melwilks
Jr. Propeller Head

Madcap search engine creates false positive results

Post by melwilks »

I have a Flare project with HTML 5 output and the search results are questionable.

For example, I search for the term "connectivity" (without the quotes in the actual search string) which generates a results list that is 5 pages long, where most of the pages listed do not include the term "connectivity".

Is there a maximum string length in a search term? For example, I noticed that the found pages contain the string "connecti"

Why are the search results faulty? Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks.

THE ANSWER:
===========
Working with a Madcap support person (thank you!), the situation was explained - this is intended functionality.

Searches for the word "connectivity" (including the quotation marks) do correctly restrict the search to only show Topics that contain the literal string, either as content or as an included Keyword.

When no quotes are used, the search results include close matches. This functionality is a result of the search engine determining related full words from the same root/stem to be close enough matches to show results UNLESS quotation marks are used to designate the searched term as being "must contain".
Last edited by melwilks on Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Re: Madcap search engine creates false positive results

Post by Psider »

Do you have partial word search turned on? If yes, perhaps try with it off?
https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... Search.htm