10086 Build failed: The process could not access the file

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
WriterAndrew
Propeller Head

10086 Build failed: The process could not access the file

Post by WriterAndrew »

Ok, this has got my head well and truly spun!
Friday, I was working on some html5 outputs in Flare, and all was well, and I successfully built and published the output to a couple of projects with no issues.
This morning, I cannot build anything (HTML5 or PDF) and get a

Code: Select all

10086 Build failed: The process cannot access the file <filename> because it is being used by another process.
(The problematic file always seems to be a .css file, but it changes with each project I try.)
I've tried ensuring that the Flare folders have suitable access permissions, I've tried deleting the output folders, restarting my PC, shutting down and waiting a while before restarting - always the same Build fail message...
Arrrggghhhh!
Any suggestions, please!
Many thanks
Andrew
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: 10086 Build failed: The process could not access the fil

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

I find that if I've had a PDF open (at any time!) sometimes Adobe holds onto the files that I had opened. Outlook does the same with assorted bits and pieces.

So the only thing I can think of doing is closing other apps, and perhaps looking in Task Manager to see what's open, even if it's not obvious. Sometimes doing a reboot is the only way to go. Good luck!
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
annb1
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by annb1 »

I have this problem multiple times everyday! It's so frustrating. Today it's been every other build it cannot build....
Same message you had. I though maybe it was because I was using an older version (2017) of Acrobat. What version are you using? I close Flare until I can delete the files in Output folder.
LarryCarey
Propeller Head

Post by LarryCarey »

Just to chime in, I also deal with this issue constantly. Surely there is a solution, but what is it? Guessing that some file might still be cached by some other process is not helpful, where is Madcap on this? This problem causes real productivity issues, when the only fix that I have found is to close the project, close everything else and finally restart the PC. Clearly a bug.
BrianAtInTouchHealth
Propeller Head

Post by BrianAtInTouchHealth »

Unfortunately, the problem has been around for a while. Here's a thread dating back to 2014:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18764&p=138991

For me, it's a two-step process to fix. First, I try deleting the Output folder. If I can't do that then I restart my PC.

Brian
Flare :flare: + Analyzer :analyzer: 2022, Central, Capture :capture: 7.0, Mimic :mimic: 8.1
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

This comes up regularly, as recently as last week. I offer a simple workaround in that other thread, and someone else offers a more "permanent" solution.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=32737
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!