Project works great, until it hits the server

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
LarryCarey
Propeller Head

Project works great, until it hits the server

Post by LarryCarey »

This is a long-shot, since my issue might not be Flare-specific, but here goes nothing...
I have a HTML5 project that generally looks and works fine at my desk.
My Target setting is "HTML5-SideNav (primary)", and my Skin setting is "HTML5-SideNav".

I use an external program provided to me by our web developers (called "S3 Browser") to send the files to our server for distribution. Things were going along well for several months, but now the project does not display correctly when viewed online.

For example, updates made to the Header are not being displayed (in the published version), even though they are displayed correctly when I view the compiled project locally.
Similarly, updates made to the TOC are not displayed in the online version, although they are displayed correctly in the project when viewed locally (via View Output).

However, updates to Topics are displayed as expected. In other words, it seems like only Skin-related components are having trouble being updated to the server. I'm guessing that I have somehow managed to break something in the "HTML-SideNav" skin or target, but I can't find any setting in either the skin or the "HTML5-SideNav" target properties that is obviously wrong.

I've been struggling with this problem for a while now, any insight at all would be greatly appreciated!
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Project works great, until it hits the server

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Could this be a caching problem? Is it just you who can't view things properly, or do other users (particularly ones who've never looked at your stuff before) experience the same problem?
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

As it works locally but not on your server, then the issue is going to be with your server.

I would first double-check that the files have been correctly copied to your server.

Then go and explain the problem to your server admin and/or web developers, whoever is best placed in your company to tell you how your server is set up. They can probably tell you what the problem is quite quickly, a lot better than we can.

I've seen something similar on our servers, which was caused by server-side caching (not the cache in your browser).
Our servers run Cloudflare which caches the files on our sites, so when I published to the server I wouldn't see any changes until Cloudflare updated its cache.
Typically htm files (topics) were updated immediately in the cache, but other file types like XML files (which are used for Flare's TOC, alias files, etc.) and JS files would take several hours to be updated.
So for us, this could be fixed by the server admin tweaking the cache settings, or forcing a cache refresh.
LarryCarey
Propeller Head

Post by LarryCarey »

Thank you ChoccieMuffin, yes, I did verify that everyone sees the issues that I see. I did clear my cache, but no luck.

Thank you Dave Lee, I tend to agree and I will peruse that line with our web developers. So far, their argument has been that they see files being synced on the server, therefore the server is fine and it must be my project. I will raise the issue of server side caching and see what they think.

I appreciate the help!
simona
Propeller Head

Post by simona »

Hi @larryCarey, @DaveLee and @chocciemuffin

Thanks for this thread, we appear to have similar problems. In our case, we host multiple versions of our web output on the same server and while older versions are accessible in browsers and can be viewed fine, newly uploaded versions can't. The new output files are uploaded without any error messages and show up fine on the server side, but we cannot load and view the content in any browser. What we see in the browser is just the empty tripane skin (in the German version) and a bunch of unformatted links (in the English version).

Did you find out anything new since your last post? We are troubleshooting right now, the server admin and I, trying to find out what causes this strange behavior.
Flare 2023 r3, Capture 7
TechWriter with 10+ years Flare experience (software)
99% remote