Related topics - best practices

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
IUseItAsACrash
Propeller Head

Related topics - best practices

Post by IUseItAsACrash »

Hello -

I see that there are multiple ways to show related topics in topics:
  • Keyword links
  • Concept links
  • Relationship tables
Does anybody have an opinion on which of the methods is the best/most effective?

Greetings,
Crash
zappy0
Propeller Head

Re: Related topics - best practices

Post by zappy0 »

I like using xrefs because Flare will update the reference for me if the first H1 in the referenced topic changes.

Code: Select all

<MadCap:xref href="admin_company.htm">Company Profile</MadCap:xref>
I use xrefs within a "Related Topics" block at the end of each topic as well as in-line references. These are easy to create since I just drag a file from Content Explorer onto my topic. Because I use in-line references to other docs and topics, there no need for a lengthy list at the end of the topic. I try to limit those references to topics the reader might be interested in. For example, they may have hit the current topic as a result of a search but it was a near miss.

What are your thoughts? Is there a user need you are trying to solve?
IUseItAsACrash
Propeller Head

Re: Related topics - best practices

Post by IUseItAsACrash »

Thank you!

I use xrefs also (inline and at the end of topics), and I was just wondering if all the other options Flare offers are really needed. For example, maintaining a relationship table never seemed attractive to me. The same applies to keyword links. Xrefs just seem to do the trick.

Thanks again,
crash