Produce HTML5 output across multiple projects?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
mad_fool
Jr. Propeller Head

Produce HTML5 output across multiple projects?

Post by mad_fool »

Greetings to everyone! I'm new to this forum, and have found your expertise very helpful in my efforts to work with MadCap Flare.

Here's my question: We've converted some FrameMaker manuals to Flare for PDF output, and are now working on producing them in HTML5. Ideally we want all the manuals for each product to be in one searchable HTML5 output. But because one of the manuals is used by several different products, that manual is in a project of its own.

What is best practice for including that manual in the same HTML5 output with the others? (Note: It's not practical for us to reproduce that manual in each of the project that correspond to the different products; this would make changing that manual a nightmare.)

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help. (We're using Flare 2020 on Windows 10.)
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Produce HTML5 output across multiple projects?

Post by NorthEast »

You could set up a project import (also referred to as "global project linking"), so that each product imports the relevant content (topics, images, etc.) from the shared project.
This means you end up with a copy of all the shared content in each project, but you only need to edit that content in one place - the original shared project.
When you make any changes in the original shared project, the content can be re-imported automatically or manually in each product project.

The other option is to use "Project Merging", but this option is limited to using the Tripane skin only - it can't be used with Top Nav or Side Nav skins.
This is a bit of an older method, and basically involves Flare building the outputs from both projects, and then combining them together.

I'm assuming the end goal is to have a separate help area per product, rather than one help site that has the help for all the products.
mad_fool
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Produce HTML5 output across multiple projects?

Post by mad_fool »

Thanks for your help, Dave! I'll give this a go and see what happens. :D