Using Conditions and Variables with Parent/Children Projects

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
RSRFL
Propeller Head

Using Conditions and Variables with Parent/Children Projects

Post by RSRFL »

To create our online help system, we import many different children projects into one, Parent project. The way the Parent project is configured, it's using a Parent TOC that links to each of the imported children TOCs (one for each of our Products).

The issue we're having is that in some children projects, there are multiple outputs that are using one TOC and Target, but are differentiated with variables and/or conditions. For example, one project has the target set the Product Name variable to A for one output and B for another. We want both Products A and B included in our online help, so we have created separate TOCs for each for the purpose of the Parent TOC structure (for example, the Parent TOC looks like this:
Product A TOC
Product B TOC
Product C TOC
etc.).

However, there's no way for the child TOC to indicate which variable to use -- it must be selected in the Parent target, and now we're left with having to choose A or B -- we can't have one for one child TOC and one for another. (This is also true with conditions).

So how do we get around this? I feel like there has to be some obvious thing that we're missing. Is there a way to link to children targets instead of TOCs? I reached out to support, but they said unless we were using tripane skins (which we're not), there wasn't a way to make this work. I was hoping someone out there has some better ideas! We'd rather not have to create multiple topics that are essentially copied and pasted but with differing product names.