Setting Up Website Using MadCap Flare Output

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
hjanasScala
Jr. Propeller Head

Setting Up Website Using MadCap Flare Output

Post by hjanasScala »

Hello all!

I am creating a website on AWS to host my MadCap Flare HTML5 output. There are a few considerations that I have in mind, but I would like to know your experiences with deploying a website and what you used to do it. In the past, other people have done it for me, but I am more involved this time around and could definitely use some advice.

We will be hosting it on AWS and have the following requirements:
[*]Ability to authenticate users
[*]Ability to integrate with Okta
[*]Ability to host multiple outputs
[*]Ability to add on additional services, such as analytics or Elasticsearch

One of our System Architects believes that we should use an open source CMS with authentication to get us started.

Let me know if you need additional information. TIA and I look forward to hearing from everyone.
zappy0
Propeller Head

Re: Setting Up Website Using MadCap Flare Output

Post by zappy0 »

Greetings. How did your AWS deployment go? Currently, I use a simple website and FileZilla for the FTP client but may need to do something more advanced to handle authentication in the future. Another item to consider is video. Last year, we started preparing short application demonstration videos for the release notes and we also include them in the help topics. The videos have been well received. I like to keep my projects self contained so I decided to upload the MP4 files to my website and then use the <object> tag in my Flare files to display the video. That way, there is no need to manage a Vimeo or YouTube account. I was amazed that this worked since I figured we would need a true video streaming capability. From what I have read (may not be accurate) my approach uses pseudo-streaming where the file is played as it is downloaded. My lesson learned though is by hosting my own videos I am quickly running out of site space and will need to get $$ approval to enlarge my site space. So, if you plan to include videos, do some math to ensure you contract enough disk space.

Code: Select all

<object MadCap:HTML5Video="true" src="https://mywebsite.com/media/custom_catalog_view.mp4" MadCap:Param_controls="true" MadCap:Param_loop="false" MadCap:Param_autoplay="false" style="width: 640px;height: 360px;" MadCap:Param_muted="false">
</object>