S3 Browser / Flare issues

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
LarryCarey
Propeller Head

S3 Browser / Flare issues

Post by LarryCarey »

I generate an HTML - SideNav project that gets uploaded to our server via a software app called "S3 Browser".
I am not an IT pro, and I have a very limited understanding of what happens to my project when I use S3 Browser to update the online content. I do understand that S3 Browser has to do with updating Amazon servers, whatever that means.

I've used "S3 Browser" for many months now without issue. It basically asks for a source directory (the Output Folder for the project as defined in Flare), and a target directory (on the server). It syncs those two folders, and that's about it as far as I know. An IT guy set everything up so that it syncs to the correct folder, but it's easy to see how it's set up.

Recently I had to migrate to a new PC. Again, my Flare project is working fine on the new PC. But now (since I moved to the new PC), my project doesn't work online at all. The index page opens, and I can see that my topics are all there (via the TOC), but all links seem to open an empty page.

When I asked our IT guys for help (assuming that something has gone goofy with the S3 Browser software), they informed me that all of my files are in fact on the server and therefore the problem is in my Flare project. They made these two points:

- The files are being uploaded correctly to S3, and they're all exactly where MadCap said they should go.
- The link/navigation structure that MadCap generated is quite a mess and many of the links include spaces (which are no-go).

Beyond that, they are telling me to contact Madcap TS.

Understanding this is not an S3 Browser forum, does any of this ring any bells out there? I'm hoping that someone out there also has to use S3 Browser.
Is the presence of spaces in links an obvious problem?

I am thoroughly baffled, any help (even troubleshooting suggestions) would be greatly appreciated.
doloremipsum
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: S3 Browser / Flare issues

Post by doloremipsum »

I'm not sure why it would be breaking now but not breaking before... But FYI, you can remove spaces from links by going to the Target > Advanced > Replace reserved characters with underscores in filenames.
in hoc foro dolorem ipsum amamus, consectimur, adipisci volumus.
LarryCarey
Propeller Head

Post by LarryCarey »

In trying to work through this with my software guys, am I safe to argue that since my project looks and tests fine on my PC that the problem is NOT a Flare project issue, but likely an S3 Browser issue?
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

LarryCarey wrote:In trying to work through this with my software guys, am I safe to argue that since my project looks and tests fine on my PC that the problem is NOT a Flare project issue, but likely an S3 Browser issue?
If it works fine on your PC, and all the output files have been copied correctly to the server, then the only difference is the server's configuration/environment.

When you view the site in a browser, you can press F12 and see any errors in the Console view. Mind, I would have thought that would be one of the first things IT folks would do to try and identify the error.