Search bar across multiple projects

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
epowers2
Jr. Propeller Head

Search bar across multiple projects

Post by epowers2 »

Hey everyone,

We're modifying our overall online help to be modular, with a home page project that links to separate projects for different sections. I'd like to have the search bar on the home page search through all of the separate projects at once, rather than force users to choose one help file and search them each individually. I can't seem to figure out how this would work other than consolidating all of the files into one, which is how we have it now and defeats the purpose of this project (faster build times, for one). Can this be done in Flare, or with the help of an external plugin? If so, any suggestions?

Thanks!
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Search bar across multiple projects

Post by NorthEast »

Whilst you can merge outputs in Flare, the downside is that it's only supported for HTML5 if you're using the Tripane skin.

There are two options - (1) merge using targets, or (2) merge server-based output, which only works if your help is on an IIS server.

https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... ojects.htm

With regards to build times, option (1) won't necessarily improve build times, as the child targets will still need to be built if they've changed.
Personally, I'd always try to keep related content in the same project, unless there's a very good reason to split it up.