HTML5 ToC: Possible to include "heading dividers"?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
Fiona
Sr. Propeller Head

HTML5 ToC: Possible to include "heading dividers"?

Post by Fiona »

I document a very large product with about 40 separate manuals. The HTML5 version of the output would really benefit from having some textual dividers in it...a bit hard to explain (shouldn't be for a technical author!) so here's an example:

Currently:
Book 1
Book 2
Book 3
Book 4
Book 5
etc.

Desired:
Core Documents
Book 1
Book 2
Book 3
UNIX-specific Documents:
Book 4
Book 5
etc.

I would like the "sub-headings" to just be text, not clickable, maybe bold to help distinguish them but that's not so important.

What I don't want to do is introduce these categories as another level of hierarchy. I know that I could just group things into another level of nesting, but we want all the possible manuals to be visible on opening the HTML5 page and also really don't want to introduce another level of clicking through and indentation.

Does anyone know whether this is feasible and, if so (fingers crossed!), how to achieve it?

Thanks. Fiona
SKamprowski
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: HTML5 ToC: Possible to include "heading dividers"?

Post by SKamprowski »

Hi Fiona,

you may enter new items in your TOC without linking them to any topic!
Kind regards,
Sabine Kamprowski
DocToHelp MVP (by ComponentOne)
Fiona
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Fiona »

Thanks SKamprowski, I've done this but it's not quite right. What this gives is:
Picture1.png
(where the category heading is "Core documents" and the .NET Core Interface Guide is one of the documents within that category)

What I want is to fully left-justify "Core documents", with no icon before it, to make it really clear that this is a document category.

Tthere are several different categories, this is just one of them...without separating them it's becoming increasingly difficult to locate the document you want so being able to do this would make our doc set much more user-freindly to navigate.

Thanks. Fiona
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SKamprowski
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by SKamprowski »

Hi Fiona,

if I look at my result, I see no icons, except those little triangles for books. I use Side Navigation while you seem to use Tripane Navigation skin:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kind regards,
Sabine Kamprowski
DocToHelp MVP (by ComponentOne)
Fiona
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Fiona »

Thanks for responding again SKamprowski.

You're right, we do use Tripane, but changing to side navigation is not really an option at the moment so the issue remains...I want to add some non-clickable, easily-identifiable grouping names and can't work out how to. If the only way to do this is to move to a Side Navigation structure then we might have to look into that as future project, but I'm really hoping that it's feasible in Tripane!

Thanks. Fiona