Build failed:Search.htm failed to parse master pg[FIXED]

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
M33R4
Sr. Propeller Head

Build failed:Search.htm failed to parse master pg[FIXED]

Post by M33R4 »

Help please :?:

Apart from adding a PDF target I'd not changed my project but now the HTML5 output is failing to build as follows:

parsefilerror.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by M33R4 on Tue May 25, 2021 2:32 am, edited 4 times in total.
Newbie to MadCap Flare
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Build failed:Failed to parse master page file

Post by NorthEast »

It says "...Search.htm: Failed to parse master page file [unable to find the specified file]"

So have you checked if Search.htm has a link to a master page, and if that link is broken?
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Actually, that error could also be due to the target having a broken link to the master page (on target Advanced tab).

Note that Search.htm is the name of the automatically generated search results file, unless you have actually created a file called Search.htm (in which case check that file).
M33R4
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by M33R4 »

Dave Lee wrote:It says "...Search.htm: Failed to parse master page file [unable to find the specified file]"

So have you checked if Search.htm has a link to a master page, and if that link is broken?
Not created a Search.htm
Newbie to MadCap Flare
M33R4
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by M33R4 »

Dave Lee wrote:Actually, that error could also be due to the target having a broken link to the master page (on target Advanced tab)........
I've had more than 1 Masterpage from the time I created the Project:
  • Home-Page.flmsp
    howtousehelp.flmsp
    newtopics.flmsp

My HTML5 topics/pages use the following Mastergage:
  • Home page uses: Home-Page.flmsp
    How to use Helpfiles page uses: howtousehelp.flmsp
    Rest of my topic pages uses: newtopics.flmsp

My HTML5 Builds all worked fine until I added a PDF target.

You advised opening the HTML5 target > Advanced > Master Page: I tried setting this to Home-page.flmsp but the build failed on the same Parse error. I then tried setting this to newtopics.flmsp and again the build again failed on the same Parse error.
Newbie to MadCap Flare
M33R4
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by M33R4 »

Incidentally, I checked Project Properties and it seems as though Flare thinks my project is a PDF only?

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=33258
Newbie to MadCap Flare
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Build failed:Search.htm failed to parse master page file

Post by Nita Beck »

Forgive my going off on a tangent for the moment. I notice that the paths shown in the build log refer to OneDrive. MadCap does not advise storing a project on a network drive, and I most definitely advise not storing a project in a cloud location. You might be hitting sync errors between your computer and OneDrive. This might not have anything to do with your issue, but I wanted at least to advise you to rethink where you are storing your projects on your computer. https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... ojects.htm

I also see from your build log that Flare's telling you that "The file you are editing exists outside of the current project." So, this begs the question. Is the master page even in the current project? Is your HTML5 target trying to use an external master page?
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

M33R4 wrote:Incidentally, I checked Project Properties and it seems as though Flare thinks my project is a PDF only?

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=33258
Also, no, Flare doesn't think your project is PDF only. Flare doesn't have any such restriction, but MadCap's poor choice of labeling has thrown you off. For everyone's convenience, to quote my response in that other thread:
Nita Beck wrote:That "Master Page Layout" field in Project properties is referring to page layout files, whose extension is .flpgl. Flare is asking you which one you want to use as the "master" page layout for the whole project. That field is not referring to master page files, whose extension is .flmsp. The confusion stems, IMO, from MadCap's poor labeling of "Master Page Layout". Flare doesn't offer the option of setting a "master" master page for the project. Master pages are set at the target or topic level.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
M33R4
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Build failed:Search.htm failed to parse master page file

Post by M33R4 »

Nita Beck wrote:Forgive my going off on a tangent for the moment. I notice that the paths shown in the build log refer to OneDrive. MadCap does not advise storing a project on a network drive, and I most definitely advise not storing a project in a cloud location. You might be hitting sync errors between your computer and OneDrive. This might not have anything to do with your issue, but I wanted at least to advise you to rethink where you are storing your projects on your computer. https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... ojects.htm

I also see from your build log that Flare's telling you that "The file you are editing exists outside of the current project." So, this begs the question. Is the master page even in the current project? Is your HTML5 target trying to use an external master page?
Nita you are spot on :!: Issue was indeed being caused by OneDrive. I am not a fan of OneDrive but it was for backup purposes in case I lost my work. I have closed OneDrive and my HTML5 is now building. The only thing is that the content is now not displaying correctly. Footnote has moved to the top and my Menu Proxy is in the wrong place. :cry:
Newbie to MadCap Flare
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Build failed:Search.htm failed to parse master pg file[R

Post by Nita Beck »

If you are concerned about backups (and that's a good idea), consider putting the project into source control. Alternatively, but less ideal, use Flare's Project > Zip Project function and put the .flprjzip file it creates up on OneDrive. I often do the latter prior to putting a project in source control. I date-stamp the .flprjzip files.
Nita
M33R4
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Build failed:Search.htm failed to parse master pg file[R

Post by M33R4 »

Nita Beck wrote:If you are concerned about backups (and that's a good idea), consider putting the project into source control. Alternatively, but less ideal, use Flare's Project > Zip Project function and put the .flprjzip file it creates up on OneDrive. I often do the latter prior to putting a project in source control. I date-stamp the .flprjzip files.
I like your idea Nita - thank you :D
Newbie to MadCap Flare