Operator/Administrator content

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
WriterAndrew
Propeller Head

Operator/Administrator content

Post by WriterAndrew »

Hi,
I'm currently using HTML5 TopNav outputs to a website for my corporate product docs.

Thinking about the users, I have two "classes" of user - Administrators and Operators.

Is there a way that I can add a "switch" into the web design to filter the topics shown based on a <MadCap:concept term="operator" /> or <MadCap:concept term="administrator" /> tag?

My idea is that if the customer sets the switch to Operator, then only topics containing <MadCap:concept term="operator" /> are shown - if the switch is set to Administrator, then all topics are displayed.

Thoughts?
Many thanks
Andrew
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Operator/Administrator content

Post by NorthEast »

Flare doesn't support dynamic (automatic) switching or filtering topics in the help - whether that's the navigation menus, content within a topic, or the search.

Flare does support manual (not automatic) filtering for the search - you can create search filters that are used to filter search results. This works by inserting concept markers in your topics, and then setting up the search filter to display topics that contain particular concepts.

Myself and others have implemented dynamic help features to show hide content within a topic, and in menus, but not the search results.
However, I wouldn't say it's an easy thing to do, and requires a lot of custom CSS and scripts.

If you only have two user classes, then a simple solution is just to create two separate targets/outputs.
If the help is accessed via an app or something the user logs in to, then you can open a different help URL depending on the user class.