Microsoft ISS Server Caching

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
phillips311
Jr. Propeller Head

Microsoft ISS Server Caching

Post by phillips311 »

Hello.
Hoping for some assistance as this has been an ongoing issue since beginning our journey with MadCap Flare. I am an author of Flare but we have our internal technology team that help support the backend of our MadCap product. We have a major issue with caching and have always used the meta tags that MadCap provides us. Last week, we made updates that we could see on the build and when published, I could only see in IE and Edge. Typically I could press refresh or F5 and we are all set. Did not happen this time.

The next day, someone lets me know the search bar is not showing and gives them a null error message. I panic as this is a major part of our internal site. I republish just to make sure there are no issues. I only got the error message in Chrome. IE and Edge worked perfect. I cleared my browser cache and sure enough, all the updates showed and the search bar was working again.

We have 2,000+ employees and make updates constantly throughout the day. We cannot tell every user to clear their cache multiple times a day so they can see updates.

MadCap sent us directions to update an Apache webserver but we use Microsoft ISS. Does anyone have any suggestions on what our internal team should be updating so we can clear up this issue? We are about to roll out ElasticSearch and I need to make sure this cache issue is completely resolved before our busy season. Any assistance or thoughts is appreciated.

Thank you.
JRtechw
Propeller Head

Re: Microsoft ISS Server Caching

Post by JRtechw »

Hope this isn't too late to be useful.

I believe that modern browsers tend to ignore client-side caching meta tags. You can add a server-side header directive through your IIS configuration or web.config. In our root web.config file, I have the following instruction:

<system.webServer>
<staticContent>
<clientCache cacheControlMode="DisableCache" />
</staticContent>
</system.webServer>

More information: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/iis/co ... lientcache