PDF Open in Browser Frame

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
Kevin B
Jr. Propeller Head

PDF Open in Browser Frame

Post by Kevin B »

Hello MadCap Forum,

I'm a new trial version user with a question about opening external PDFs in the HTML WebHelp Tri-pane output / target. A PDF is in the content explorer and a TOC item linked to it. No matter how I set the "Open in Browser Frame" options, the PDF opens in the same tab and completely replaces the WebHelp interface, simply appears as a standard browser PDF viewing tab. Is this normal or am I missing a setting? It would be nice to see the PDF in the file viewer frame and then have the option to open it in a new tab for later reference, if desired.

However, I brought in an HTML file set and that opens perfectly in the WebHelp viewer pane, seems odd the difference in behaviour.
Thanks for any assistance with this!

Kind Regards, Kevin
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: PDF Open in Browser Frame

Post by NorthEast »

It works ok for me. In the TOC item properties Advanced tab, I set Open in Browser Frame to _blank.

This might be worth testing by creating a hyperlink in a topic to PDF, and setting that to display in a New Window/Tab - which will set target="_blank" in the background.
If it also happens in normal hyperlinks, it may be something to do with a browser setting or your PDF viewer.

Also, you mentioned "HTML WebHelp Tri-pane output".
There is a target/output called "WebHelp" and also a skin (which has a "Tripane" layout), but you should definitely not use these as they are very old and on the deprecated list, so will be removed by MadCap.
There is a skin type called "Tripane" for HTML5 targets/outputs. If you're using that, then I'd suggest using the "Side Nav" skin instead. It offers a similar layout to Tripane, but is generally a lot newer and better. The Tripane skin is a bit old now and uses frames, and I'd only suggest using it in specific use cases.
Kevin B
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Kevin B »

Hi Dave,

Thanks very much for your quick reply, and yes using _blank does open the PDF in a new tab, and the original Help tab remains. I don't know what was happening before, I tried all of the selections but maybe I didn't save after selecting _blank. I also did a project cleaning, maybe that helped.

But the PDF will not ever appear in the main frame as a preview, only in a new tab, is that correct? It's odd to select a PDF while still looking at some other topic page, makes the viewing awkward.
In the Flare interface itself, I selected a PDF in the Content Explorer and it opens in the main window.

Thanks for your advice about the Tripane being deprecated. I made a new project with Side Navigation but hit a roadblock during build because Flare can't find the template file, even though I selected one. Will have to work through this to see how the target output looks, but I suppose opening a PDF will be the same result.

Thanks for your assistance, it's much appreciated.
Regards, Kevin
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Yep, the PDF will appear in its own separate tab - it won't be displayed 'inside' the help in the area where topics are displayed.

Technically you could embed the PDF in a topic, if you really wanted it to appear 'inside' the help. One method is to insert an iframe, which you can do from Flare's interface. Another method is to use the HTML <object> tag, which you'd enter manually in text view. Mind, I think both methods would probably require the user to have a browser-based PDF viewer, which is a problem you wouldn't have when it's just a link to the PDF.

Also, it's only the "WebHelp" target that is being deprecated.
"Tripane" is a skin for the HTML5 target, and that's not being deprecated. However, the Tripane skin it is quite old technology, so the Side Nav skin is a better choice for most people (using a HTML5 target).
Carlie
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Carlie »

Hello - I have come across this post while trying to find a way to display PDFs from my SideNav TOC in the help system using an iframe. I cannot make it work - I cannot select a PDF from the iframe dialog. You mention it can be done - could you point me to the instructions to do so, please?

I can manually change the behavior of how my TOC entry opens after I build my output but I cannot find any way to accomplish this in Flare.

Code: Select all

<a href="#" onclick="$('.body-container').html('<iframe src=\'../FILENAME.pdf?TocPath=...%7CAPC%7C_____1\' style=\'width:100%;height:100%;\'></iframe>')">TOCENTRYNAME<\a>
How can i either use iframes for PDFs or modify the way the ahrefs function (for TOC entries and any other PDF selected throughout the output) to use this javascript?

Thank you for any insight !!