Print Issue in Flare 2022

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
DarcieC
Jr. Propeller Head

Print Issue in Flare 2022

Post by DarcieC »

I have already submitted a bug ticket about this issue to MadCap, but I am asking as a non-technical "Junior Propeller Head" if anyone else has experienced this problem since updating to Flare 2022:

When I generate an HTML5 target and publish it, my users (including me) are no longer able to print the entirety of a long topic, whether they try to do so using the topic toolbar icon or just by right-clicking in the topic to bring up the print dialog box. The print dialog does not recognize that the topic may be more than 1 page long, so it only allows the user to print a portion of the topic. I think this issue is connected with the skin enhancements in this update, but my technical knowledge is limited, and my troubleshooting skills have not yielded any solutions.

Please let me know if your users are having any similar issue, especially if you have been generating your topic toolbar via a Top Nav skin, as I have been. Also, any advice as to how to correct this issue would be appreciated! (Meanwhile, I will wait for MadCap to get back to me)
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Re: Print Issue in Flare 2022

Post by Psider »

I can see it when I try to print the RH2022 help pages to PDF.

As a brute force workaround, try setting the following:

Code: Select all

@media print {
* { overflow: visible !important; }
}
(The code, without '!important', is in the print.css file on the website.)
bgo
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by bgo »

Yes, I see the same problem in the output from my existing projects rebuilt with Flare 2022. And, as previously noted, in Flare's own online help.
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

And I'd just like to note I really appreciate that MadCap use their own tool to provide help for that tool (unlike certain of the competition). :D
factotum
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by factotum »

They gave a patch to me today - I should have checked the forums first, LOL.

Thank you for contacting MadCap Technical Support. Here's a summary of our call earlier today:

In HTML output, the PDF print on produces one page.
This is a known bug of Flare 2022.
Here is the patch to fix this for Flare 2022:
https://ts.madcapsoftware.com/Downloads ... _64bit.zip

Follow the directions on in the included .readme file to apply the patch.
RStreets
Propeller Head

Post by RStreets »

What an absolute godsend this forum is!

Yes, I now have the problem as I update sites using Fl2022, both topnav and sidenav. But thanks to psider I can put in a fix :D
Rae Streets (Flare user since 2017, now on Flare 2023; Central user from 2020)
doloremipsum
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by doloremipsum »

Oh brilliant, I ran into this problem recently and threw my hands up after wasting way too much time on it! Great to have a patch for it, thanks everyone!
in hoc foro dolorem ipsum amamus, consectimur, adipisci volumus.
Zauberlehrling
Propeller Head

Post by Zauberlehrling »

I came across the same issue when trying to print out a couple of topics for review on my way home in the bus. Before I found that post here I thought it might have been a browser related issue, since I know that some browsers interpret the print command different than others. But after testing with 5 different browsers (Edge, Chrome, Firefox, Opera & Vivaldi) but the same result, I came to the conclusion that it must have to do with Flare building the HTML.

I have downloaded the fix, but since I have Flare on my work laptop and not wanting to mess up my installation of Flare 2022, I have not yet tried the fix. Did someone test it and can tell me if it solved the issue with printing only the content frame for the full long topic, please?

Thank you in advance.

EDIT: I got a software update for Flare 2022, will see if the print bug is fixed there.
Zauberlehrling
Propeller Head

Post by Zauberlehrling »

Just wanted to add, that the new Version Flare 2022 r2, prints perfectly. :-)
Thanks Madcap