Template Import Question

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
chelseacifuentes
Jr. Propeller Head

Template Import Question

Post by chelseacifuentes »

Is it possible to only import the Home page of a template? There is an online template Home page design (Balboa) that I like, but I already have the styling set up in my project and don't want to import the entire template file in case it messes up my styling. Is this possible, or do I have to import all the template files?
doloremipsum
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Template Import Question

Post by doloremipsum »

There's nothing special about the templates, they're just normal Flare projects! You can download the template and copy the files you want out of it (in this case, probably the home page and the specific home page stylesheet, although you may need some other assets). I'd recommend copying the files in the Windows File Explorer rather than Flare to prevent the links from updating weirdly.
in hoc foro dolorem ipsum amamus, consectimur, adipisci volumus.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Template Import Question

Post by Nita Beck »

I respectfully disagree about copying files over from one project to another in the Windows file explorer. You are bound to get link errors that way, and it'd be easy too to miss some files. I think doing a project import in Flare is your best bet.

But first, were I doing this, I'd go into the template project whose home page I wanted to import. I'd rename it by adding the prefix "import_". (Flare will prompt you to update links, which you should do.) Renaming the file is just to be on the safe side that your other project doesn't have a home page in the same location and of the same name. You wouldn't want to overwrite that file.

Still in the template project, I'd also then use the Link Viewer to see all the other files that the home page is linked to and from. One by one, I'd rename those files, too, with the "import_" prefix, again, to ensure that the import wouldn't overwrite any files of the same name, particularly the stylesheet.

Finally, in the second project, I'd set up an import that seeks to import ONLY the import_home.htm (or whatever it's called) file, being sure also to select the option to import any files linked to that file. That'll catch everything else. And Flare will have managed to keep all the links between the imported files intact.

You should then be able to easily find all the "import_" files in the second project. Move them and/or rename them -- and then use them -- as you see fit. I expect that there will also be some topic files that were linked to the home page. Repoint the home page's links to your project's topic files, and then delete the imported topic files.

This may seem like a complex process, but it's really not all that onerous, and I think it will yield better results than a copy-and-paste via Windows.

HTH
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!