Publishing and Destination problems

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
janecoulter
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by janecoulter »

Yes, I'm wondering if I might need a fresh download.
Tydalian
Propeller Head

Extra files when publishing...

Post by Tydalian »

Hi all. I have to weigh in with jbarwick on the annoying extra files in a Publish (and build) procedure.

I am trying to keep my project files in our CVS system. (I realized there is no point to adding the Output files to source control...no problem there.) BUT...CVS adds a folder to my source files to identify them as CVS-managed files. NOW all my publish actions include these CVS files and folders from the project files!! I was confused at first, thinking I had done something wrong (as I am not a CVS pro by any means...), but the problem is that Flare includes ALL files and folders from the Content directory, no matter what that file is! It does not need to have ANY connection to the Flare project, so long as it is in this space!!!

It appears this happens also during a build procedure. If there is CVS tagging on the Content files, the Output files include CVS folders and files.

Can MadCap please let me (us) know when this will be corrected? This bug completely destroys the usefulness of the Publish feature for my projects.

Thank you...
Kim
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Let your voice be heard here: http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx

Until then you can try and see if conditional tags will get the CVS folders out of your build. Apply a tag and set in the targets to always exclude those files.
Tydalian
Propeller Head

Extra files when publishing...

Post by Tydalian »

I posted a \"bug\" (thank you for the link).

...and tried to conditionalize the CVS folders. Unfortunately, this caused a source folder to become \"lost\"...just disappeared...even before I was able to build. I don't know what happened to it. Flare gave me a pop-up error window (sorry I did not copy down the info...) and my source folder with many, many files in it was just gone.

CVS did have the contents of the folder at the remote server, so I am now recovered, but I will not try that again...

For the time being, my active Flare projects will need to be pruned for delivery and the delivery will be static. This is not optimal (big understatement here...).

Kim
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

I know a few people on the list are using Tortoise SVN with Flare. I'm not sure how similar CVS is to SVN, but it's possible some of the techniques they used may be helpful. Specifically, SVN adds a tracking folder (called .SVN) into every folder it manages, which sounds similar to the problem you're describing. I think Doc_Guy said he was able to conditionalize those folders out of Flare successfully.

You might try a search for SVN on the forum and see if you find anything useful.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
5ynic
Propeller Head

Re:

Post by 5ynic »

jbarwick wrote:I have found the issue is that the publisher will not delete old rennamed/moved/deleted files from the server.

Therefore, I cannot use the publisher.

Back to the old FTPSync programs.

Abandoning Flare tools left and right. I'm sad.

No Version Control
No Publisher
Takes Hours to Rename folders

What to do? Frustration mounts.
Yeah, I've come upon this thread in a similar mood I'm afraid... Not actually abandoning, but using the tools for less and less.
Why when I FTP my files can I not use the tool (ESPECIALLY as it publishes from "output" but you're editing in "content" - surely it should just disable Build/Publish?? It takes an hour and I need to publish 3x/day....Solution? Filezilla so I can keep working while the files FTP up.
Why are stale files not really deleted? Solution? Blow away everything and then use Filezilla.
Also, I disagree with the poster who said they understand why you can't just exclude things if they're not in the TOC or linked to from a topic that is - Authorit does that, hell, even FrontPage does that in a different way.
It's still a great tool, but the build/publish side is, until these issues are fixed, basically unusable.
-- I hope this doesn't get appended to all my posts --
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Re: Publishing and Destination problems

Post by Richard Ferrell »

Only the outputs files are published, Are you wanting your Orginal Content files to be published? If you are using Flare to publish, and it can read the catalog.zip from your Server you are publishing to, then Flare will only upload the changed files.
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
5ynic
Propeller Head

Re: Publishing and Destination problems

Post by 5ynic »

Thanks for the response, Will, but no, neither of those points were what I was saying:
Point 1 is that it's doubly ridiculous that publish locks up the tool given that the tool edits the "content" folder while the publish process FTPs up the "output" folder (put bluntly, this seems like behaviour engineered in California where people aren't testing on slow broadband and/or dial-up).
Point 2 is that in common with the previous posters on the thread, I'm finding the "upload the deltas" thing simply doesn't work. Something like Filezilla is rock-solid every time - with the built-in FTP engine I end up with orphans, unchaged old versions etc.... Again - maybe a symptom of my slow upward FTP connection?
-- I hope this doesn't get appended to all my posts --