Localizing Madcap WebHelp projects

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
raikeswood
Propeller Head

Localizing Madcap WebHelp projects

Post by raikeswood »

I'm new to Flare, in fact so new we're currently evaluating Flare against alternatives including our own in-house publishing system. Has anyone got any experience of localizing Madcap WebHelp using a third-party translation tool (not Lingo)? We have a lot of investment in our current translation tool (Passolo) so we want to make sure that the two products fit. In particular, can you localize everything - variables, snippets etc outside of Flare/Lingo? Any help, advice or tips would be most welcome. Thanks in advance. PS Our 30-day evaluation period has elapsed :(
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Re: Localizing Madcap WebHelp projects

Post by Richard Ferrell »

Just a reminder Lingo Doesn't translate your content, you would still need an outside resource for that. its just a Translation Memory program, it will help you with you Translation from One Language to another, Keep your projects seperate and helping when you update your project and lettign you know what needs to be changed.

For more info see Lingo's WebPage

http://www.madcapsoftware.com/products/lingo/home.aspx
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
raikeswood
Propeller Head

Post by raikeswood »

Thanks Richard. I'll pass on that link to our Loc team.
Does anyone know how easy it is to localize Madcap Flare projects? Pros and Cons?
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

When you use Lingo I think it is as easy as it can get. You see the source and the target side by side and then go at it. Lingo creates a separate project for the translated help so that things don't get mixed up. I did a few test runs with Lingo and found it to be easy enough so that even I can figure it out. I did have a problem with using the dictionaries, but I may just have done something wrong and I ran out of time to look more into it.
ed_d
Propeller Head

Post by ed_d »

Is there any information on translating Flare projects WITHOUT using Lingo? We are pretty attached to another translation memory program, as it also works with non-Madcap products.

So far, I haven't had any problems using translation memory on the (output) content htm files. The only problem arises with the index file. Translating it ruins the alphabetical order.

Additionally, which files must be translated?

Note: These forums seem pretty buggy. The post below mine was actually posted over a month ago.
Last edited by ed_d on Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Post by Richard Ferrell »

Lingo doesn't really translate your content, it just allows you to manage your translated content better, and Creates a new project with the translated content, you would still need to use a 3rd party tool to translate your content.
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer