Kanchor Tags

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
radbean
Jr. Propeller Head

Kanchor Tags

Post by radbean »

I imported a RoboHelp WebHelp Pro project into Flare. When I look at the code in Flare, I see a bunch of Kanchor tags. Flare help mentions nothing about Kanchor tags. Are they a product of RoboHelp (I don't remember seeing them in RoboHelp)? If so, can they be safely deleted without affecting my Flare project? I think they may be screwing up my table formatting.
Radford Bean
Technical Writer
Oregon Public Employees Retirement System
amberlink
Propeller Head

Re: Kanchor Tags

Post by amberlink »

do you mean kadov tags? Those were in RH.
radbean
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by radbean »

They're different than the Kadov tag. Here is a sample of some of my html code: <h1><a name="kanchor281"></a><a name="kanchor282"></a><a name="kanchor283">.
Radford Bean
Technical Writer
Oregon Public Employees Retirement System
Ryan Cerniglia

Post by Ryan Cerniglia »

radbean wrote:They're different than the Kadov tag. Here is a sample of some of my html code: <h1><a name="kanchor281"></a><a name="kanchor282"></a><a name="kanchor283">.
These are anchors for in-page links - they should not be affecting your table formatting at all.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Yeah, those are named tags, kind of like bookmarks in Word. And you can use them as bookmarks in Flare. My guess is they came from your RH project and were used for hyperlinking to a sub-heading inside a topic. You can have bookmarks of the same name across multiple topics -- you just can't have bookmarks of the same name in the same topic. Actually, I'm betting the "kanchor" stood for keyword anchor or something similar. Whether RH did that or the previous author came up with that name, I don't know, but they might have been for an index or something similar.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
HeraTech
Propeller Head

Post by HeraTech »

Just an FYI about where the kanchor tags come from. I have a Flare project that I started from scratch (as opposed to importing an existing RoboHelp project), and it contains kanchor tags. Nothing to do with RoboHelp, unless they were there in both products (same developers, so that might be a possibility).
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

No, don't delete them.

As Ryan already mentioned above, they're created by Flare - e.g. index entries will create tags such as <a name="kanchor1">.
Cecily
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Cecily »

Can you check dependencies for kanchors (left over by a previous author using RoboHelp)?

I'd like to delete them as they're in headings and even the middle of words, which is distracting, but without knowing what may be linking to them, it seems like a bad idea. (If it was a smaller project, I could delete them, compile and click every link on every page to see which were broken).
"Books are a narcotic." (Franz Kafka)
I wonder what he'd say about help files?
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Cecily wrote:I'd like to delete them as they're in headings and even the middle of words, which is distracting, but without knowing what may be linking to them, it seems like a bad idea.
They don't appear in the output in the middle of headings and words, do they? If it's just that you see them in the authoring environment then you can turn off showing those types of tags. Click the drop-down arrow next to the "t" icon in the XML Editor toolbar and there are options to show/hide different tags and other stuff.

Lisa
Cecily
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Cecily »

No, they're not in the output, thankfully. :lol:

Switching them off as you suggest is an improvement, for which thanks. However, a coloured flag icon remains and I'd ideally like to remove them and replace them with "proper" links for tidiness, but it's now a slightly lower priority.
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Post by wclass »

I have "kanchors" in my generated output. In the source files where I have an index keyword, the source entry is "madcap: keyword term ...", and these all get generated to html anchors, with a generated name of "kanchorNNN" (example, <a name=kanchor666 ...>).

Is it possible you have got your generated output mixed up in your source input? Should your project have index words at these points? I think you can delete these entries without a problem, but I wonder that you might have a clean-up job on your hands.
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Remember in your other post, Cecily, where you hoped just deleting the SkinSupport folder would solve your problems (http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewtopic.php?t=7346)? Well, you may have just discovered an issue that resulted from having the project build to the project Content folder instead of the Output folder.

You might also want to create a topic from scratch then open it in the Internal Text Editor and compare it to one of your older topics. See if there's anything near the top of the topic that exists in the old file but not the new file. For instance, if you have only one stylesheet in your project, then you shouldn't see any references to the stylesheet in the new topic. Your old topic, however, might show a reference to the stylesheet file, because that reference is added automatically when the project is built. Likewise, you shouldn't see any references to any masterpages you may have created.

Lisa
Cecily
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Cecily »

Thanks Lisa. I looked at topics in the internal text editor, but wasn't clear what I was looking for. There is more than one stylesheet in the project, so even a new topic containing only the default text contained a reference to one:

BRAND NEW TOPIC

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<html xmlns:MadCap="http://www.madcapsoftware.com/Schemas/MadCap.xsd">
    <head>
        <link href="Resources/Stylesheets/esriuk.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
    </head>
    <body>
        <h1>aaaaatemp</h1>
        <p>Delete this text and replace it with your own content.</p>
    </body>
</html>
START OF OLD TOPIC CONTAINING KANCHORS

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<html xmlns:MadCap="http://www.madcapsoftware.com/Schemas/MadCap.xsd" MadCap:check_list="Ran Smart Index" class="" MadCap:conditionTagExpression="" MadCap:tocPath="Getting Further Information">
    <head>
        <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=Windows-1252" /><title>Reference Tables</title>
        <link href="Resources/Stylesheets/esriuk.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
        <link href="Resources/TableStyles/Basic.css" rel="stylesheet" MadCap:stylesheetType="table" />
    </head>
    <body>
However, some of the kanchors are definitely used as bookmarks for links elsewhere in the project - I tried deleting a couple some time ago, and got errors/broken links, so I don't want to get rid of all of them.

I think some other kanchors are redundant, so the real issue is how to tell which are which, i.e. some way of being able to view the dependencies of each kanchor (instead of trial and error of deleting them one by one).