Text popups/tool tips over an image map

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
Doug Eaton
Propeller Head

Text popups/tool tips over an image map

Post by Doug Eaton »

I'd like to provide the Help user with an image map that identifies some potentially unfamiliar features of the Help interface (e.g., accordion bars, dropdowns, glossary items, etc.) that lack tool tips. I could create popup topics that open from an image map, but I'd rather just have simple text topics (like tool tips) that show when the cursor hovers. How do I do this for an image map in a WebHelp project?
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Text popups/tool tips over an image map

Post by RamonS »

IIRC you can specify a text that shows up in the yellow screen tip boxes. While I don't think that they are limited as to how much text they can hold, you have zero formatting options. You would enter that text into the Screen Tip box.....although, come to think, that would require creating a link and you don't want to link to anything if I understand correctly.
So my next guess would be rigging something up using ECMAScript, but I'm not that versed with that. One other option is to use Mimic and make content appear on a mouse over....which is a bit tricky in case you don't have Mimic.
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Re: Text popups/tool tips over an image map

Post by KevinDAmery »

RamonS wrote:IIRC you can specify a text that shows up in the yellow screen tip boxes. While I don't think that they are limited as to how much text they can hold, you have zero formatting options. You would enter that text into the Screen Tip box.....although, come to think, that would require creating a link and you don't want to link to anything if I understand correctly.
I do this all the time. I just create a bookmark immediately above or below the image and send the link to that. If a user clicks on the image map, since the bookmark is already on screen nothing happens. The mouse over provides a standard tooltip (yellow background, black text).
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare