Browser support

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Re: Browser support

Post by KevinDAmery »

LTinker68 wrote:
RamonS wrote:Sorry for totally derailing this thread.
You mean this thread wasn't originally about Firefox v3? Dang, when did we leave the tracks? :shock:

(That was "Dang" the expression not "dang" the forum user. :P )
Although if Dan wants to take a crack at it he's welcome to guess :mrgreen:
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
WayneC
Propeller Head

Post by WayneC »

Using Firefox 3 (downloaded it yesterday) WebHelp search is not working on a locally stored file (works fine in IE). The Loading indicator gets stuck at 5 bars and the search box never appears.

This error appeared in the Error Console

Security Error: Content at file:///I:/Flare%20Projects/Developer%20Help/Output/Wayne/MyWebHelp/Default.htm may not load data from file:///I:/Flare%20Projects/Developer%20Help/Output/Wayne/MyWebHelp/Data/Filters.xml.

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Access to restricted URI denied" code: "1012" nsresult: "0x805303f4 (NS_ERROR_DOM_BAD_URI)" location: "file:///I:/Flare%20Projects/Developer%20Help/Output/Wayne/MyWebHelp/Content/SkinSupport/MadCapUtilities.js Line: 2079"]

any ideas?
lacastle
Propellus Maximus

Post by lacastle »

This worked for me:
http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewto ... ff3#p33471
kevinmcl wrote:Heads up, all. Here's the latest from Madcap, via Neal P.

... and I quote:

Currently, Firefox 3b5 has a more stringent file security model that does not allow local files to use XMLHttpRequest. This is most likely going to be kept in the final version of Firefox 3.

Until this is addressed, here’s the workaround:

1) Open Firefox 3b5

2) Type about:config into the address bar and hit enter

3) Click yes at the “Void Warranty” screen

4) Filter for security.fileuri.strict_origin_policy

5) Change it to False by double-clicking the option

6) WebHelp will now work in your local browser

------------------- end quote -------------------

Before tinkering, or telling your users to tinker, notice that the problem is not observed if your WebHelp is SERVED. Only if you supply your WebHelp output on CD or in tarball (or whatever) to be saved on the user's local system and browsed directly, without an intervening server. That sounds like it lets at least half of you off the hook.[
trent the thief
Propellus Maximus

Post by trent the thief »

Hi Everyone,

Note that this fix is also necessary in the release version of firefox 3.

Thanks for discovering and posting a fix before I had a panic attack!
Trent.

Certifiable.

umm...
I meant MAD Certified.

Official Propeller Beanie Owner :-)

:flare: Are you on Flare's Slack channels? PM me for an invitation! :flare:
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Seems that something needs to be changed on the Flare side then. I don't think having customers reconfigure their browsers will work out well. They don't even want to do that with IE.
trent the thief
Propellus Maximus

RamonS wrote:Seems that something needs to be changed on the Flare side then. I don't think having customers reconfigure their browsers will work out well. They don't even want to do that with IE.
I'll say. I've been porting a new project to Flare and discovered it didn't work this morning. I was _very_ upset. I'm glad there's at least a workaround for local users. I was pretty worried.
Trent.

Certifiable.

umm...
I meant MAD Certified.

LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

trent the thief wrote:
RamonS wrote:Seems that something needs to be changed on the Flare side then. I don't think having customers reconfigure their browsers will work out well. They don't even want to do that with IE.
I'll say. I've been porting a new project to Flare and discovered it didn't work this morning. I was _very_ upset. I'm glad there's at least a workaround for local users. I was pretty worried.
This is analogous to having to add MOTW for local viewing of WebHelp using IE. And if it's specifically the XMLHttpRequest that was mentioned previously, then this won't affect just WebHelp -- it'll affect any web application that uses XML files to provide data to the app GUI. If any of you guys work for companies that are developing web-based applications that will run on local machines and you're trying to make them cross-browser compatible, then you might want to suggest your developers test their apps in FF3.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
trent the thief
Propellus Maximus

Those aren't hard candies in that dish on my desk. I'm a Technical Writer; they're anti-psychotics.
Trent.

Certifiable.

umm...
I meant MAD Certified.

NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Does anyone know in what circumstances this happens, or what settings affect it?

I've tried out a handful of help projects in FF3 and I'm getting some mixed results with the searches.

In one project the search seems to work fine, but in most of the others the search just sticks at the loading message as described.

The thing is, I don't know what the difference is - all the projects use the same target, skins, stylesheet, etc.
trent the thief
Propellus Maximus

Hi David,

I have only had it happen with FF3 final. I didn't test with any rc's or betas. It happened for me every time without fail. Could it be perhaps that your setting is not being retained?
Trent.

Certifiable.

umm...
I meant MAD Certified.

NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

I'm really not sure, I've got two WebHelp systems open in FF3 (final) here, and the search works in one and not the other.

They're different projects, but both use the same standard 'template' (target, skin, stylesheet, glossary, etc). I'm just a bit surprised and confused why one of the projects works and not the others.
trent the thief
Propellus Maximus

are both served from a local hard drive? Not a network drive?
Trent.

Certifiable.

umm...
I meant MAD Certified.

NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Yep, both the WebHelps are on my local drive.
mark
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by mark »

Dave Lee wrote:I'm really not sure, I've got two WebHelp systems open in FF3 (final) here, and the search works in one and not the other.

They're different projects, but both use the same standard 'template' (target, skin, stylesheet, glossary, etc). I'm just a bit surprised and confused why one of the projects works and not the others.
I have the sample problem here. In FF3 the search wont work in most cases.

I tested some other browsers:
IE6: works
IE 7: sometimes working
IE8: crashes (with and without IE7 emulation)
FF3: not working
Opera 9: works

can't tell about other browsers.
I hope this problem can be fixed some way?
trent the thief
Propellus Maximus

mark wrote:oblem here. In FF3 the search wont work in most cases.

I tested some other browsers:
IE6: works
IE 7: sometimes working
IE8: crashes (with and without IE7 emulation)
FF3: not working
Opera 9: works

can't tell about other browsers.
I hope this problem can be fixed some way?

Laura's fix worked for me:

http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewto ... =15#p35306
Trent.

Certifiable.

umm...
I meant MAD Certified.

jdsmith
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by jdsmith »

saanvik wrote:I'm running into a problem with Flare 2.5, WebHelp, and Safari, both on Windows and Mac. The content displays just fine, but none of the Index, Search, etc., tabs work.

Is anyone else seeing the same?
I am having the same trouble. Has there been any movement on this?
GCotgreave
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by GCotgreave »

We are now seeing a very similar problem in the latest IE, although it pops up the do you want to "allow the restricted file" every time you launch help.
Firefox is worse as it just stops and puts a message in the error log and the 'general' user gets no feedback, other than our product's help appearing not to work.

As I understand it malware and the like can run scripts on your local hard drive, and that is why this activity is now blocked. We ship Flare help as a file set as this allows users to use it on whichever machine/platform they choose without the need for a web server. I suspect, as organisations start rolling out these browser updates, our trickle of support calls will start to turn into a flood.

You can't just add "file:///xxx/xxx/xxx" to the list of exceptions of sites, as this is not seen as a valid site, only URLs starting http:// or https:// are permitted.

There appears to be a potential solution, for IE at least, and similar may work with Firefox, although it is not simple to test as it requires Flare's output to insert information in each page.

The article about mark of the web see;
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... S.85).aspx

suggests that a comment similar to <!-- saved from url=(0023)http://www.contoso.com/ --> could be added to each page and this will allow the browser to run the page as if it was from the contoso.com website and this site (assuming it is your own company's site details) could be added to list of sites allowed to run scripts.
It certainly makes a difference to IE loading the main help page, although I have not placed the text in each and every page of the 100s of help pages we have. I have been unable to find if there is something similar for Firefox.

Without a resolution to this we will loose the ability to supply cross browser/cross platform software/help bundle and will cause our users many problems so we'd certainly appreciate escalation of this issue.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

GCotgreave wrote:There appears to be a potential solution, for IE at least, and similar may work with Firefox, although it is not simple to test as it requires Flare's output to insert information in each page.
The article about mark of the web see;
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... S.85).aspx

suggests that a comment similar to <!-- saved from url=(0023)http://www.contoso.com/ --> could be added to each page and this will allow the browser to run the page as if it was from the contoso.com website and this site (assuming it is your own company's site details) could be added to list of sites allowed to run scripts.
It certainly makes a difference to IE loading the main help page, although I have not placed the text in each and every page of the 100s of help pages we have. I have been unable to find if there is something similar for Firefox.
Flare already has built-in support for MOTW - to enable it, go to the Advanced tab in your target and tick Insert Mark of the Web.
MOTW is just for IE, as Firefox doesn't have this security warning.
GCotgreave
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by GCotgreave »

Dave Lee wrote: Flare already has built-in support for MOTW - to enable it, go to the Advanced tab in your target and tick Insert Mark of the Web.
MOTW is just for IE, as Firefox doesn't have this security warning.
Thanks for that we've now found the setting, shame it didn't show up in MadCap's 'Knowledge Base' when I searched for it!
Pity that FF doesn't support this or a similar feature, as IE doesn't run too well on Linux, HP, Sparc etc......
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

GCotgreave wrote:Pity that FF doesn't support this or a similar feature, as IE doesn't run too well on Linux, HP, Sparc etc......
FF doesn't need the feature because it doesn't have a security problem like IE does. MOTW gets around the security issue IE has with ActiveX controls. So you shouldn't have a problem with FF, regardless of whether or not you have Insert Mark of the Web enabled in Flare.

Lisa
GCotgreave
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by GCotgreave »

LTinker68 wrote:
GCotgreave wrote:Pity that FF doesn't support this or a similar feature, as IE doesn't run too well on Linux, HP, Sparc etc......
FF doesn't need the feature because it doesn't have a security problem like IE does. MOTW gets around the security issue IE has with ActiveX controls. So you shouldn't have a problem with FF, regardless of whether or not you have Insert Mark of the Web enabled in Flare.
If you try and run Flare Search, it hangs, with "access to restricted uri denied" being added to the error console. Which I understand is because firefox 3 does not want to run scripts from/relating to pages on the local hard drive. So although I agree it isn't exactly the same as IE's problem the local drive restriction is similar, and it would be nice if FF could treat pages issued by our company on CD/local installation in the same way as pages they would view from our site.

The workaround of about:config and switching off the security is not really something you can ask a customer to do as it is too wide ranging, it needs to be certain files/root/or content based.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Sorry, I thought you were still talking about FF2 or earlier.

Lisa
trent the thief
Propellus Maximus

LTinker68 wrote:

Hiya, In firefox 3.0 there is now a setting to allow local scripts to run. It's in an earlier post in this thread.
Trent.

Certifiable.

umm...
I meant MAD Certified.

jwatson
Propeller Head

Post by jwatson »

trent the thief wrote:
Hiya, In firefox 3.0 there is now a setting to allow local scripts to run. It's in an earlier post in this thread.
Hi Trent

Are you talking about the about:config way of accessing the FF configuration settings? Or is there a way to allow local scripts to run from the Options dialog in FF?

Jenny.
Jenny
lacastle
Propellus Maximus

Post by lacastle »

It's the about:config way.