Breadcrumbs scrolled out of view on topic open

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
noblehouse
Propeller Head

Breadcrumbs scrolled out of view on topic open

Post by noblehouse »

I've got breadcrumbs enabled, but I notice in the output that when a topic is opened (either from the TOC or by following a link) the page is scrolled down just slightly so that the breadcrumbs are not seen. The topic heading appears to be at the top of the page and I have to scroll up a bit to see the breadcrumbs (which a user might not know to do). The only time this doesn't happen is when the topic is very short and doesn't take up the entire page.

Is there a way to change it so that the topic opens with the breadcrumbs in view until the user scrolls down the page?
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Breadcrumbs scrolled out of view on topic open

Post by NorthEast »

Are you seeing this in an imported project?

I've seen this before in projects imported from FrameMaker. It happens because the TOC and xref links are to bookmarks in the topic headings, so topics that are longer than the window height will scoll down a bit so that the heading is at the top.
noblehouse
Propeller Head

Post by noblehouse »

Yes, it was imported from Word. (It was just a one-time import to get the content out of our former authoring software.) Can I change/move the bookmark somehow? I publish both WebHelp and print versions, so I think I need those bookmarks to make the xrefs show the correct page number in Word, right?
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

I can't see why you should need them, you can have an xref to a topic without having to link it to a bookmark (inc. Word output).

In my project, I removed all the bookmarks from topics (that were in headings) and removed the bookmark references from the URLs of all the xref links (i.e. topic.htm#bookmark). I didn't do this by hand though as it'd take ages, I used a find and replace tool (FAR).
noblehouse
Propeller Head

Post by noblehouse »

OK, this reply confused me at first. I have lots of cross-references (like, See Appendix A on page 99 for more information) in my doc, and when I published to Word I always got "bookmark not found" errors. Flare Tech Support told me I had to select a bookmark for each cross-ref I set up, which fixed that problem. So I thought how in the world are you doing cross-refs without bookmarks. Then I realized you must be referring to the "TOC" bookmark that Flare puts at the beginning of each topic in a Word import. I took 'em all out, and now breadcrumbs work the way I want. Thanks for your help.....