Do you serve your WebHelp?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Do you serve your WebHelp?

Post by RamonS »

I've used every version since 1.0.something and never experienced that. Which version was that?
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

It's in the beta version of Firefox. There was a new security setting in the first version of the beta that apparently didn't allow you to run WebHelp locally. I'm so glad that's not an issue anymore.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Ach so! I didn't try the beta, since it is beta and I have already enough betas.
GCotgreave
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by GCotgreave »

kevinmcl wrote:Heads up, all. Here's the latest from Madcap, via Neal P.

... and I quote:

Currently, Firefox 3b5 has a more stringent file security model that does not allow local files to use XMLHttpRequest. This is most likely going to be kept in the final version of Firefox 3.

Until this is addressed, here’s the workaround:

1) Open Firefox 3b5

2) Type about:config into the address bar and hit enter

3) Click yes at the “Void Warranty” screen

4) Filter for security.fileuri.strict_origin_policy

5) Change it to False by double-clicking the option

6) WebHelp will now work in your local browser

------------------- end quote -------------------

Before tinkering, or telling your users to tinker, notice that the problem is not observed if your WebHelp is SERVED. Only if you supply your WebHelp output on CD or in tarball (or whatever) to be saved on the user's local system and browsed directly, without an intervening server. That sounds like it lets at least half of you off the hook.[
This is a bit of a drastic option, certainly one customers are going to have difficulty applying, all sorts of issues with IT departments etc.
Is there a real solution now FF3 is not beta?
Do you need WebHelp users to back a request to FF development to implement a similar idea to MOTW?
MarinaMichaels
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by MarinaMichaels »

LTinker68 wrote:...(Why oh why don't browser manufacturers allow you to run two flavors of the same browser?)
There is another solution. It is known by the remarkably uninformative name of "User Agent String Utility." If you have IE 7 installed, it emulates IE6. It comes from Microsoft with the usual disclaimers and is reasonably stable.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Or even better, run any version of IE on your system using the tool from Tredosoft: http://tredosoft.com/Multiple_IE
Although, who cares about IE? We really shouldn't support just any crappy browser that just happens to float around. We don't support command line, text only browsers either.