<![CDATA[ ]]> Glossary Issue

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
adriennep
Jr. Propeller Head

<![CDATA[ ]]> Glossary Issue

Post by adriennep »

Hello,

I have two Flare projects and we are trying to integrate the CSH with our software applications. One project is working just fine, but the other keeps failing because of glossary issues. Neither one of these projects use a glossary and both projects have the same project settings. The project that's not integrating has the <![CDATA[ ]]> tag in the Gloassry.xml file. See below:

<head><title>Glossary</title>
<link href="SkinSupport/MadCap.css" rel="stylesheet" />
<link href="Resources/Stylesheets/mPower Styles.css" rel="stylesheet" />
<script src="SkinSupport/MadCapGlossary.js"> <![CDATA[ ]]></script>
<script src="SkinSupport/MadCapEffectsMenu.js"> <![CDATA[ ]]></script>
<script src="SkinSupport/MadCapEffects.js"> <![CDATA[ ]]></script>
<script src="SkinSupport/MadCapUtilities.js"> <![CDATA[ ]]></script>
<script src="SkinSupport/MadCapBody.js"> <![CDATA[ ]]></script>
<script src="SkinSupport/MadCapHighlighter.js"> <![CDATA[ ]]></script>
</head>
========
The project that is integrating with no errors does not have the <![CDATA[ ]]> tag. See below:
<head>
<title>Glossary</title>
<link href="Resources/Stylesheets/mPower Styles.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
<link href="SkinSupport/MadCap.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
<script src="SkinSupport/MadCapUtilities.js"> </script>
<script src="SkinSupport/MadCapEffects.js"> </script>
<script src="SkinSupport/MadCapEffectsMenu.js"> </script>
<script src="SkinSupport/MadCapGlossary.js"> </script>
</head>
========
I've cleaned the project with the <![CDATA[ ]]> tag, but the results didn't change. Any thoughts as to why this is occuring or where this <![CDATA[ ]]> is coming from?

Thank you,
Adrienne
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Re: <![CDATA[ ]]> Glossary Issue

Post by KevinDAmery »

The problem may be related to the CSS - I notice the two are pointed to different CSS files.

<![CDATA[ ]]> is a method that XML uses to allow people to enter arbitrary characters that might otherwise be interpreted as code. Basically, anything inside the <![CDATA[ ]]> tag will be displayed as is, regardless of whether it is "legal" for XML or not. Flare sometimes adds it when you have two tags that are separated by a space, since sometimes those spaces may not be displayed (causing words to run together). The space inside the <![CDATA[ ]]> tag will always be displayed.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
adriennep
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by adriennep »

Thank you for the info! I don't know where the other CSS is coming from. The only one we use is the one called mPower Styles. Since we don't use gloassaries, I'm not sure where the Glossary.xml is getting this data.
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

Not sure either, but since you have one that's working, I would just copy the stylesheet lines from the working one into the non-working one and see what happens. (Make a backup first to be safe, though :wink:
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

The MadCap.css stylesheet is generated automatically when you build a project. It contains information regarding the styles specified in the skin. You can't delete the reference before the build because it's added automatically, and if you delete it after the build then you'll screw up the display.

Both of your snippets of code have both stylesheets listed. One lists the MadCap.css stylesheet first, the other lists the mPower Styles.css stylesheet first. I don't think that matters, though, because there probably aren't any overlapping styles.

However, one code snippet specifies the stylesheets type as "text/css", but the one with the CDATA tags doesn't specify that type, and I'm pretty sure you need those declarations.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
adriennep
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by adriennep »

I've tried replacing the CSS in the non-working project with the CSS from the working project and ended up with the same result. I also noticed the "text/css" declaration is missing in the non-working project. Is this something I can fix prior to generating the target or will I have to add this declaration manually and remove the <![CDATA[ ]]> manually each time?
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

That's pretty strange, I wonder why Flare generates glossary files for projects that don't include a glossary?!

Anyway, I don't think any settings in your stylesheet are affecting this. It's my guess that the difference between your projects is down to your master pages, or possibly your targets. I'd test it out by copying the master page files from your working project (then try the target file(s) if that doesn't work).

Flare behaves a bit strangely in this area. How the links appear in your output seem to depend on the formatting of the stylesheet links in your master page, especially if the same stylesheet CSS file is also referenced in the topic. Flare doesn't include the CSS reference twice, but in the ouput file the order of the stylesheet references is unpredictable (it can be before or after the MadCap.css), and I've also seen it include CDATA tags. I never actually figured it all out properly, once I got my master page working I left it alone!