Slow in IE7, fine in Firefox...??

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
LNiB
Jr. Propeller Head

Slow in IE7, fine in Firefox...??

Post by LNiB »

Hi all,

I have Webhelp content accessed from a server in Geneva (Switzerland) by staff in 2 offices: Cork (Ireland) and Toronto (Canada)

When accessed through IE, it is 4-5 times faster to load in Toronto, taking roughly a minute, and up to 10 seconds to change between topics
In Cork (closer to Geneva by some 2,500 miles!!), it can take over 5 minutes to load with 45-55 seconds to change between topics

In Firefox, Cork is slightly faster - as you'd expect.

It appears it's IE settings specific to Cork that's delaying it. Does anyone have any idea what they could be..???
Thanks,
Laoise
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Slow in IE7, fine in Firefox...??

Post by RamonS »

So using Firefox on Cork drops access times below those from Toronto? Two things to keep in mind:
a) obviously one more reason not to use IE
b) distance is not the point, but connection bandwidth is. You can dial in using a modem while sitting right next to the server and still only get a slow connection, while the person using a T1 across town gets way faster access.

If I understand correctly, you narrowed it down to settings in the browser. I don't use IE unless forced to, so I am not sure if there is a way to export the configuration settings of IE. If there is, the users in Cork may want to try the settings from Toronto and see if that makes a difference.