Using search expressions in generated WebHelp

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
Pohutukawa
Propeller Head

Using search expressions in generated WebHelp

Post by Pohutukawa »

I've been looking throughout the Flare online Help as well as this forum, but I cannot locate information regarding the use of search expressions (such as, AND, OR, NOT) in Flare-generated WebHelp.

I can get the AND expression to work. For example, the search criteria "error AND address" returns topics that contain both error and address.

However, if I enter "error NOT address", I get the same results. That is, the search facility ignores NOT. It doesn't even find NOT, even though I am not searching for NOT. Perhaps paradoxically, it appears that Search is properly not searching for NOT, but it is ignoring the expression, regardless.

How do I get search expressions to work, please?

Thank you
eddie
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Using search expressions in generated WebHelp

Post by eddie »

Hi, I am new with Flare but I found this in the knowledge Base.
http://kb.madcapsoftware.com/Content/Flare/Output Types/WebHelp/OUTW1011F_-_Using_Booleans_in_Search.htm

I hope it helps

Cheers
Pohutukawa
Propeller Head

Post by Pohutukawa »

Thank you. I should have search for Boolean, and I forgot to search the Knowledge Base.

Thank you very much.
Pohutukawa
Propeller Head

Post by Pohutukawa »

I just tried some of the searches using Boolean expressions, and the NOT or ! expression appears to be failing.

If I enter message AND address, I correctly get topics that contain both terms.

If I enter message ! address, I incorrectly get topics that contain both terms. I should not have gotten results with the term address.

If I enter message NOT address, I incorrectly get topics that contain both terms. I should not have gotten results with the term address.

If I enter message (! address), I incorrectly get topics that contain both terms. I should not have gotten results with the term address.

Only if I enter message ^ address do I get the expected results. That is, topics that contain message but not also address.

Is this a bug, or am I misunderstanding something rather profound?

Thank you