Changing "Favorite Topics" icon

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
Rebeccams
Jr. Propeller Head

Changing "Favorite Topics" icon

Post by Rebeccams »

Is there a way to control/change the look of the icon that appears when you save a topic as a favorite? I don't see a style entry in the skin editor for this icon.
FavoriteTopicsIcon.gif
Thanks for your help!
Rebecca
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Changing "Favorite Topics" icon

Post by LTinker68 »

Not directly, but there is a workaround. And make sure you submit a feature request (http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx) asking for the ability to specify the favorite topics icon and the favorite search icon.

The workaround is to add your icon to the output folder after the project is built. Just copy your image into the output folder, in the Skin\Images folder. Use the same file name and overwrite the one created during the build. The file to overwrite is called FavoritesTopic.gif.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
Rebeccams
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Rebeccams »

Thanks! This gets me part of the way. I'm using the "Silver" skin, which gives me orangish icons on the contents tab. I want the topic icon on the Favorites tab to match that icon, but if I just copy the Topic.gif file in the output Skins\Images folder, I get a green version of the icon. I can't find the orangish versions of the icons anywhere. Do you know where those are hidden?

-Rebecca
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

After you copied the Topic.gif file -- and I'm assuming renamed it to FavoritesTopic.gif -- and overwrote the original file, did you do a forced refresh of the browser, especially if you're using IE? It could be that it just used the cached image and didn't reload the (new) one.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
Rebeccams
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Rebeccams »

I did do a refresh - and ended up with a slightly smaller version of the Topic.gif image, with a green "?" rather than the orange one. To fix this, I just went ahead and edited a topy of Topic.gif in PSP, made it the color I wanted, cropped it to the correct size, and saved it as FavoriteTopic.gif. This seems to be working. But I am curious where the orange icons are. If I open Topic.gif (or any other similar icon files) in my output\...\skin\images folder, I see the green version, which is not what displays when I view the Help.

Thanks again for your help with this! At least I now have a workaround that's working, and I did submit a feature request to be able to specify this image in the skin editor.

Rebecca
QBF
MadCap User

Post by QBF »

The default images is located in "C:\Program Files\MadCap Software\MadCap Flare V3\Flare.app\Resources\WebHelp\Default.flwht\Images." If you want to change the icon for all favorites, you must replace the default one with your modified version or everytime you generate a build your image will be overwritten. Changing it in the Output folder just changes it for that one specific build.
Rebeccams
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Rebeccams »

Thanks for the help! Unfortunately, even though that's the correct way to do it, it doesn't solve my immediate problem. The images in that folder are also not the orange ones; if I replace the default image in that folder with the orange one I created, it does work fine for the skin I'm having the problem with, but then I'm also stuck with that orange favorites icon for all other skins. I want to be able to control this on a per-skin basis; so replacing it after I do the build actually works better for the moment (though I agree it's not a great solution for maintenance reasons).

Thanks again, though!
Rebecca