System moves at a crawl

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
dwag
Sr. Propeller Head

System moves at a crawl

Post by dwag »

Our company has several writers working on the same large project, and I've noticed lately that it takes many minutes to open and close the project. Later in the day, especially, all activity within the project moves at a literal crawl. What specific things should I do or double-check to ensure optimal performance? It's really becoming a drag, so to speak.

Thanks.
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Re: System moves at a crawl

Post by Richard Ferrell »

Be sure the project is local, and not on a network drive, Also clean your temp directories also.
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

And are you guys using source control? I'm not using it with Flare, but I know in the past that IT has sent emails out that they're going to clean out the source control server. It could be that IT needs to do some maintenance on that server.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
dwag
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by dwag »

We're not using source control, and the project is on a network drive. At this juncture, I don't have the tool to integrate the help file with the software, so the developers like the file where it is. And I don't want to think about what it'll mean to remove it from there; updating the files, though slow, is otherwise convenient and seamless.

(Then again, maybe you don't need to know this stuff, exactly; maybe I'm talking French and you're talking Italian.)

I'll try, as you suggest, cleaning the temp files.

Thanks, again.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Do the developers actually need to edit the topics in the project, or do they just need the output?

If the developers don't need the project source files, then keep that on your local PC and publish the target to the network location where they want it. To do this, set up the network folder as a destination, select that destination in your target, then just publish the help each time you want to update their copy of the help.
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

It's not quite that simple: the OP said they have multiple writers working on the project, so keeping the source locally wouldn't be feasible.

(As an aside, this is as situation where I definitely would want some sort of source control. But unless / until they get one....)

What I would do is keep the "master" source files on the network, but then copy the files locally before building output. Then copy the output files to the location where the developers pick them up for inclusion in the product. This allows you to keep a master version of the source files in a common location, but side steps the slowdowns involved in building over a network.

Having said that, there is a danger of "versionitis" with the source files this way, especially if anyone makes changes to the source in their local copies. (Which is why some sort of source control would be preferable.)
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Post by Richard Ferrell »

I would still move the project to a local drive to see if speeds up, Could be a network latency issue. If its works great locally, then you would want your IT dept to check your network
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer